The Tang rule

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow and a Blue Hippo in the same tank they get along great but then its also a 180.
I think that size tank is a bit small for tangs they really like a lot of swimming space jmo:)

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It is doable, but I agree with others - not a recommended combo for a 72 gallon.

I had a hippo and a yellow that I rescued in my 75 for about six months until I found a home for them. The owner was going to flush them :tongue:

I figured my 75 was a better life choice than a toilet....

Last edited:

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only two tangs in my 120 gal - a yellow and a blue hippo. The blue was a tank raised juvinile that was a couple of inches when introduced and has grown to 4" in a few months.. The yellow and blue ignore each other and are good tank mates to the other fish.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are compatable ( a have one of each as well) but would not recomend a hippo in that size tank - if you want a second tang to go with the yellow get a bristletooth - they are smaller, eat algae better then a hippo, and generally ignor all other tank mates

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tangs should not be kept in anything under a 6 foot tank

I'd love to see some supporting data that coincides with this very enveloping statement.

I, too, have kept several tangs in a 48" tank. Matter of fact, I have a yellow and hippo that are quite active, healthy, beautiful fish in my 48" tank right now. I hope they don't read this thread on R2R - they might get a complex. :)

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you all are going to jump on my face and punch me in the stomach for this,

But

I have had a powder brown,hippo tang,and Desardini(however it is spelled) Sailfin Tang in a 75gal, with no fights,or tank balance problems..then the tank bottomed out.. .. .. of course

I would say only 2 that are differant shapes for the least amount of conflict

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch out for the tang police! Answer yes they can. I would get babies and in a few years it would be best to upgrade the tank. Hey it can be the alternative motive to do so. But many people have them together in tanks around that size no problem.
Feel free to get upset at this post but im just telling it as it is and not coming back to this thread

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a hippo, a yellow, and a kole all in a 3' cube tank - tang police hubbub
i do not recommend hippos at all (even though i have one) though because they grow FAST and are terrible algae eaters - there are much better choices

most acanthurus tangs are too big for all but the biggest tanks, but many of the Zebrosomas (the yellow in particular grows relatively slow) and most all of the Ctenconaetus are perfically fine in smaller tanks and no i'm not saying put one in a nano but a 72 bow would be fine for one. the kole and the tommini are excellent algae eaters and are way under rated in the hobby - far better choice for a smaller tank tang

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a yellow would be a good choice for that size.
Be careful if you decide on a powder blue to go in as well, they can be quite finicky!

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a purple and a blue hippo in a 75 but they were under 3". The blue hippo eventually got too big and I sold him off. I just sold the purple when I broke down my 75. I had him for over 5 years. I can tell you that I started feeling guilty the last year or so when the purple was about 6+ inches. It just reminded me of someone pacing in a small room, back and forth and back and forth. I know you can do it and they may get along but when tangs start to reach adult size a 4ft tank is just too small for me.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back