"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:" Planning where to put coral

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With experience comes knowledge, I have no experience therefore .....
The tank has just finished the cycling process and I can finally get something...so I have ordered a zoa and a Gorgonian
Many of you have been doing this for a while and know how a coral tank would look best just by reviewing the landscape . Yes I know that Zoa will be good lower to mid but I am afraid I will place them in a spot that might better suit another coral better. I also know I will have a hard time removing the zoa from the rock. This tank is 30" long and 22" high. hence the higher structures. The flow should be good with area under and around both main rock formations. I am looking for ideas of the options others with the experience on planning my garden. This will be mainly a coral tank with invert support and perhaps a fish
. 20231112_152155.jpg here is the tank and it is feeling a bit blue waiting for the zoa to arrive 20231112_151953.jpg The two corals and a couple of inverts arrive this coming week 20231112_152022.jpg From the left side the view is a bit different but does show the space in front

20231112_152052.jpg The right provides another view 20231112_152039.jpg
just trying to show open areas under structure

Any thoughts , Ideas or directions I should look would be welcome . I am looking at other tanks but as a beginner I probably do not even know what I should be looking for. 20231112_151925.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof your tank is too new to fully sustain corals. They recommend 3 months minimum to establish. I couldnt keep corals alive until the tank was around 10 months. The zoa might be okay, they are pretty hardy but the gorgo probably wont. I suggest getting reef roids, red sea AB+ and other coral foods to try and help them cause your water wont have nutrients to sustain them without that. My nano is going on 4 months and I still wont put corals in based on my much bigger tank that is a few years old and finally having corals thrive.

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would suggest seeing if you can cancel the order and start with some fish so your tank can age and adjust to the bioload which will help the tank be ready for corals months down the road if possible. Maybe others will have some other suggestions to get the corals the food they need. I keep zoas but not gorgos

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would suggest seeing if you can cancel the order and start with some fish so your tank can age and adjust to the bioload which will help the tank be ready for corals months down the road if possible. Maybe others will have some other suggestions to get the corals the food they need. I keep zoas but not gorgos
Thank you but the 2 corals have been ordered along with two dwarf crabs .. I just had to put something into the tank ...I will do my best to keep them alive , but as you can tell I am new and this will not be my last mistake ...

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you but the 2 corals have been ordered along with two dwarf crabs .. I just had to put something into the tank ...I will do my best to keep them alive , but as you can tell I am new and this will not be my last mistake ...
Weve all been noobs and made mistakes before, this is a great place to learn and get support! To give the corals the best chance I would get some coral food and see if that helps. Also make sure you are feeding the hermits food, they scavenge leftover food from fish but if theres no fish you need to feed the tank so they dont starve! Or are they not hermit crabs?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weve all been noobs and made mistakes before, this is a great place to learn and get support! To give the corals the best chance I would get some coral food and see if that helps. Also make sure you are feeding the hermits food, they scavenge leftover food from fish but if theres no fish you need to feed the tank so they dont starve! Or are they not hermit crabs?
Was planning to supplement their diet .. ty again

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back