The trick to keeping an Octopus in your tank.

Metal_Angler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R.

Not that active of a member here but I'm still in the hobby. :)
Anyway, was watching a YouTube video of @coralfish12g and his new octopus and thought I'd share some information I learned about 15 years ago when I had my own pet octopus and how I kept her in the tank, escape free her entire life.

The secret is velcro. The rough side. I don't think they like the feel of it.
I outlined the top of my tank with velcro tape before releasing my octopus from her giant hamster ball. You have to ensure there are ZERO gaps/weak spots. May help to use some glue as well. Any plumbing that can easily be reached or HOB equipment needs to be lined as well.
I watched mine circle the entire tank looking for weak spots when she thought she was alone.

And that's it!

Just thought I'd share this tip since it seems not a lot of people know about it.

Hope this helps someone out there someday.

Cheers.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R.

Not that active of a member here but I'm still in the hobby. :)
Anyway, was watching a YouTube video of @coralfish12g and his new octopus and thought I'd share some information I learned about 15 years ago when I had my own pet octopus and how I kept her in the tank, escape free her entire life.

The secret is velcro. The rough side. I don't think they like the feel of it.
I outlined the top of my tank with velcro tape before releasing my octopus from her giant hamster ball. You have to ensure there are ZERO gaps/weak spots. May help to use some glue as well. Any plumbing that can easily be reached or HOB equipment needs to be lined as well.
I watched mine circle the entire tank looking for weak spots when she thought she was alone.

And that's it!

Just thought I'd share this tip since it seems not a lot of people know about it.

Hope this helps someone out there someday.

Cheers.
Brilliant!!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the species they won't actually try and escape. I kept 2 different specimens of O. Briareus and neither one ever showed even the slightest desire to escape. I kept a mesh lid on the top similar to what you'd use to prevent fairy wrasses from jumping. Both lived their complete lifespans of roughly 1 year.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back