The water draining during a water change smells like the low tide in the Back Bay of Wildwood

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reading a lot of stories about tank water that smells. I seem to have a rather unique problem. The Water in my DT has no odor whatsoever. But doing a water change today, when I open the drain valve, the draining water had the smell of Wildwoods NJ's back bay at low tide. It was putrid. But the fish and snails are fine. I was preparing to buy some corals in a week, now I think not. I prepared my Brute 25 gallon for another water change tomorrow.

I have a lid on my tank. I open it, no smell. But drainingp that water this afternoon was simply brutal.

I'll do an ammonia test first thing tomorrow morning and see what's going on.

Anyone have any ideas how this is even possible

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did something get into the drain pipe and die?

Did something get into the drain pipe and die?
As you can see, the back right side of my tank has a drilled in the 2" standpipe. The base has a grilled drain line going thru to my sump. Inside that standpipe is a 1/2 " return line from the the sump. Everything came pre-plumbed. Nothing can get inside to that drain line.

I hope the pic shows some relevance to you

Attachments

• 20210826_205114.jpg
    20210826_205114.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you disturbed the sand bed it may be sulphide producing/anaerobic bacteria.

Possibly Bingo! Never thought of that possibility. I did have some green hair algae that started to take hold on my substrate, so I just took my small net, scraped along the top of the substrate just to get it out of the tank. It never dawned on me I could do harm.

So where do I go from here? Do you have any recommendations, I would so much appreciate it N.S

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts exactly. I noticed the same thing when I was vacuuming the sand bed recently. I realized the tubes were very dirty and had mold inside of them.
My plumb lines are a clear flexible plastic, so at least I can eliminate that possibility. Thanks for the mention tho

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was probably from water sitting stagnant in the drain pipe since the last time you used it. Aquarium water without aeration/circulation is usually going to smell that way.
Now that stands to reason as an excellent possibility. But my drain line is 1/2", only about 16" long

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your assistance people. But I think N. Sreefer may have hit the target. Now I just need help how I can remedy the situation. Already did 2 water changes in one week. And that's something I don't want to overdo. I have read where that is not something that should be practiced, but I'm at a loss at the moment

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now that stands to reason as an excellent possibility. But my drain line is 1/2", only about 16" long
I’ve had smaller tube lengths with water sitting and it was the worst smell ever lol worst than any skimmer

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you so much for your assistance people. But I think N. Sreefer may have hit the target. Now I just need help how I can remedy the situation. Already did 2 water changes in one week. And that's something I don't want to overdo. I have read where that is not something that should be practiced, but I'm at a loss at the moment
How deep is the sand bed?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly Bingo! Never thought of that possibility. I did have some green hair algae that started to take hold on my substrate, so I just took my small net, scraped along the top of the substrate just to get it out of the tank. It never dawned on me I could do harm.

So where do I go from here? Do you have any recommendations, I would so much appreciate it N.S
If my theory is right the smell will dissipate on its own when all the released nasties from the anaerobic zone settle out again. I would test nitrate and if you see a big spike do another 30% or more water change. If you will be disturbing the sandbed on a regular basis you could try purple non sulphide bacteria, algae barn sells bottles, in theory they should help mitigate the smell. If the sand is regularly turned over you'll never have a gas build up/anoxic region in the substrate and this will not happen again. In my tank conches do this for me constantly turning the sand/cc mix.

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3/4" there about. I know many members here on Reef2Reef have their substrate much deeper.

I lost a Diamondback Gobi about 2 months ago. I have to believe it was the Emerald Crab, whocno longer resides in my tank. My Diamondbacks was thriving

3/4". I know many year at Reef to Reef their substrate much deeper

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my theory is right the smell will dissipate on its own when all the released nasties from the anaerobic zone settle out again. I would test nitrate and if you see a big spike do another 30% or more water change. If you will be disturbing the sandbed on a regular basis you could try purple non sulphide bacteria, algae barn sells bottles, in theory they should help mitigate the smell. If the sand is regularly turned over you'll never have a gas build up/anoxic region in the substrate and this will not happen again. In my tank conches do this for me constantlyAturning the sand/cc mix.
I'll do as you have instructed me N.Sreefer. Would you please give me some info of this purple non sulfide bacteria, from Alger Barn. Have you or anyone you know ever used it. Woud it happened to be a cycle starter

OP
OP
Gup

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do as you have instructed me N.Sreefer. Would you please give me some info of this purple non sulfide bacteria, from Alger Barn. Have you or anyone you know ever used it. Woud it happened to be a cycle starter

If my theory is right the smell will dissipate on its own when all the released nasties from the anaerobic zone settle out again. I would test nitrate and if you see a big spike do another 30% or more water change. If you will be disturbing the sandbed on a regular basis you could try purple non sulphide bacteria, algae barn sells bottles, in theory they should help mitigate the smell. If the sand is regularly turned over you'll never have a gas build up/anoxic region in the substrate and this will not happen again. In my tank conches do this for me constantly turning the sand/cc mix.
Did another water change yesterday. I was expecting the worst, but I got the best. Which is exactly what you said. Draining about 21 gallons and there was only a slight wiff of odor. You called it N.S. Now I can get back to normal husbandry

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another water change yesterday. I was expecting the worst, but I got the best. Which is exactly what you said. Draining about 21 gallons and there was only a slight wiff of odor. You called it N.S. Now I can get back to normal husbandry
Glad to hear it ive had the exact same thing happen in the past, trapped food/waste decomposing into hydrogen sulfide bubbles. Not sure on the biology behind pnsb from @AlgaeBarn I used it before and it seemed to alleviate the issue when my pistol shrimp disturbed a 3 inch sandbed. But that was a worst case suggestion happy to hear your tanks back to normal :).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside, I just started using Fritz Monster 460 conditioner every 2 weeks and I don’t even detect any tank odours anymore. If you use and regularly change carbon that also helps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back