The worst possible situation....Ive gotta move my ree across town

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive have to move tanks before and i have been fairly successful in doing so but i know there is a a better way i have not thought about to get it done. Its always been hectic and hurried. Mistakes are definitely being made. Should i do the tank first or last? I man leaning towards last so i can have everything prepped and nothing in the way. Now of course during this time i need to change out a bulk head and hard plumb better than the mess that is currently there. If some how i can afford it i am even considering throwing in a different sump/fuge . Any advice or tips and tricks are very welcome.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the setup you are moving? How far does it have to be moved miles or drive time? Estimated number of trips to move everything from one location to another? Do you have helpers?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down, relax (by your post - you sound stressed) Lots of variables but basics are - plan for tank spot at new location, if possible have your RODI water and premixed saltwater there before the move (ideally) move fish, corals etc into buckets, coolers etc. If it's a short move - no problem with them in buckets for hours. If longer move then have portable pumps & heaters. I would use new sand, save a cup or two of old sand to seed the tank. Save as much as you can of old water & transfer. After draining tank down, fish etc in buckets move the tank, set it up do your plumbing then add your water and fish, etc. Top off with new salt water and add some Bio spira to help stabilize bacteria. Biggest thing STAY CALM.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down, relax (by your post - you sound stressed) Lots of variables but basics are - plan for tank spot at new location, if possible have your RODI water and premixed saltwater there before the move (ideally) move fish, corals etc into buckets, coolers etc. If it's a short move - no problem with them in buckets for hours. If longer move then have portable pumps & heaters. I would use new sand, save a cup or two of old sand to seed the tank. Save as much as you can of old water & transfer. After draining tank down, fish etc in buckets move the tank, set it up do your plumbing then add your water and fish, etc. Top off with new salt water and add some Bio spira to help stabilize bacteria. Biggest thing STAY CALM.

With the exception of saving the old water, I agree completely. IMO, moving old water is just not worth the effort - I've never moved more than what it takes to keep my livestock alive. Even live rock can be moved "dry" - just toss a old towel over it and wet it with tank water - it'll be fine. You livestock can live indefinitely in buckets/coolers/totes/whatever if you provide some heat and circulation. They really don't know the difference between your tank and a tote other than the changed landscape. That allows you time enough to get the tank set up they way you want it.

Move the tank after everything else is already at the new place so that you can concentrate on it. I always use 100% new water (temp and parameter matched to the old). Just think of it as a really big water change!

Back