First time seeing this one here.
1000028078.jpg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasses have begun a very strange sleeping schedule. Presumably they are up and out of the sand at 7am when the lights start coming on. But lately they've been eating at their 1pm feeding, and then the Halichoeres chrysus goes to sleep. Sometime between 1pm and 3pm, the M. bipartitus goes to sleep. I previously had the autofeeders set to go off at 7am, 10am, 1pm and 4pm, but they are both missing the last feeding. No idea why--I don't think they are being spooked into the sand.

Anyone else have their sand sleepers acting this way?
I don’t like reading this. It’s never been good when my fish acted like this. The first thing I would watch for is bullying or tension.

You have some great blues in yours!
I never picked it up. I’m sure it’s been sold. I’ll grab another but may go younger. That guy is pretty mature but does look great

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like reading this. It’s never been good when my fish acted like this. The first thing I would watch for is bullying or tension.

I never picked it up. I’m sure it’s been sold. I’ll grab another but may go younger. That guy is pretty mature but does look great
So far in my tank I've never observed any bullying. The yellow is skittish and darts behind the rocks when someone walks into the office. I usually walk very slowly to my desk. But the leopard is a sweetheart. Goes all around all day long and comes to the glass to say hi.

I'll keep an eye on them. My light schedule starts to drop around 1-2pm:
1702076483577.png

Maybe I'll bring those peaks/troughs a bit closer together and raise whites a bit more--I've been meaning to slowly raise whites anyway. Think they are thinking that the 1-2pm dip is evening?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far in my tank I've never observed any bullying. The yellow is skittish and darts behind the rocks when someone walks into the office. I usually walk very slowly to my desk. But the leopard is a sweetheart. Goes all around all day long and comes to the glass to say hi.

I'll keep an eye on them. My light schedule starts to drop around 1-2pm:
1702076483577.png

Maybe I'll bring those peaks/troughs a bit closer together and raise whites a bit more--I've been meaning to slowly raise whites anyway. Think they are thinking that the 1-2pm dip is evening?
So they are going to bed right before lights out.
I confused myself. How many hours do they go to bed before lights start to dim?
I’m out and can’t go back and read lol. Mine have went to bed a little early at times
Anything that’s difrent can change there sleep time. Stress, time change or even tensions between other fish. They can be sensitive and when something is right.
That said it might be nothing. Even a new fish added a few weeks ago may make them change sleep time. Delay as fish find their spot

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they are going to bed right before lights out.
I confused myself. How many hours do they go to bed before lights start to dim?
I’m out and can’t go back and read lol. Mine have went to bed a little early at times
Anything that’s difrent can change there sleep time. Stress, time change or even tensions between other fish. They can be sensitive and when something is right.
That said it might be nothing. Even a new fish added a few weeks ago may make them change sleep time. Delay as fish find their spot
The lights oscillate in a Saxby-type schedule. The final peak is at about 5:45pm and then ramps down to lights out by 9pm. Previously, the yellow wrasse was staying up till around 3pm and the leopard till 4-5pm... oh wait

Just connected to the lights and they were an hour ahead, so the lights were actually just coming on at 5am instead of 6am... which means their lights aren't aligned to their feeding schedule like it was before the time change.

homer simpson doh GIF

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights oscillate in a Saxby-type schedule. The final peak is at about 5:45pm and then ramps down to lights out by 9pm. Previously, the yellow wrasse was staying up till around 3pm and the leopard till 4-5pm... oh wait

Just connected to the lights and they were an hour ahead, so the lights were actually just coming on at 5am instead of 6am... which means their lights aren't aligned to their feeding schedule like it was before the time change.

homer simpson doh GIF
That’s all it takes. Some of my leopards would be thrown way off because of an hour time change.

Woah! That blue is awesome.

I’m going to get one for my father for Xmas!
Awesome son!

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The wrasses have begun a very strange sleeping schedule. Presumably they are up and out of the sand at 7am when the lights start coming on. But lately they've been eating at their 1pm feeding, and then the Halichoeres chrysus goes to sleep. Sometime between 1pm and 3pm, the M. bipartitus goes to sleep. I previously had the autofeeders set to go off at 7am, 10am, 1pm and 4pm, but they are both missing the last feeding. No idea why--I don't think they are being spooked into the sand.

Anyone else have their sand sleepers acting this way?
My yellow wrasse did this today but came back out about two hours later. It’s a new upgrade so maybe it got spooked. Haven’t seen it do that before today though. New tank has been up for 7 days.

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choices!
Thanks. Already had a Yellow Coris and a Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse, but they were able to jump through the lid. The lid had loose nylon strings. So I put a dot of super glue on each spot of the strings of the lid (where the strings cross each other - picture)

75D7EAA2-9FFF-4030-9FF0-338ECC5A40C8.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the wrasse experts. Let's say, hypothetically, I get a thalassoma wrasse in the future. Exactly how aggressive are they actually and would they murder the flasher wrasse and anthias I have on order? Also what about aggression twoards meleagris wrasse?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the wrasse experts. Let's say, hypothetically, I get a thalassoma wrasse in the future. Exactly how aggressive are they actually and would they murder the flasher wrasse and anthias I have on order? Also what about aggression twoards meleagris wrasse?
Don’t do it. All thalassoma are aggressive, some species are highly aggressive. Adding one will eventually lead to the demise of your flasher, leopards, and anthias.

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I have a pair of leopards that completed the R2R QT, and I’m looking to retool up my QT setup for a Vivien’s Leopard and a Yellow Tail Tamarin.
IMG_6031.jpeg

Are there any suggestions regarding the Vivien’s and the Yellow Tail? I’ve read that those are more copper intolerant than the Leopards I’m QTing now, and stress easier during initial acclimation in the QT tank.

My current Leopard Wrasse QT setup was is a 28”x18”x18” tank with fluval 50 HOB, sicce micra, heater, 10” airstone w/ oversized air pump, 8”x8”x3” sand dish, 4 marinepure cubes preseeded in the sump for bacteria and then saturated with pods (new ones used for each setup to avoid Prazi resistance), and an AI Prime HD to condition their schedule to my timezone.

Thanks!!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks. Already had a Yellow Coris and a Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse, but they were able to jump through the lid. The lid had loose nylon strings. So I put a dot of super glue on each spot of the strings of the lid (where the strings cross each other - picture)

75D7EAA2-9FFF-4030-9FF0-338ECC5A40C8.jpeg
@Slocke it wasn't me!!!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here's the pinkies to pick from
1000009944.jpg
1000009946.jpg

Hello Everyone,

I have a pair of leopards that completed the R2R QT, and I’m looking to retool up my QT setup for a Vivien’s Leopard and a Yellow Tail Tamarin.
IMG_6031.jpeg

Are there any suggestions regarding the Vivien’s and the Yellow Tail? I’ve read that those are more copper intolerant than the Leopards I’m QTing now, and stress easier during initial acclimation in the QT tank.

My current Leopard Wrasse QT setup was is a 28”x18”x18” tank with fluval 50 HOB, sicce micra, heater, 10” airstone w/ oversized air pump, 8”x8”x3” sand dish, 4 marinepure cubes preseeded in the sump for bacteria and then saturated with pods (new ones used for each setup to avoid Prazi resistance), and an AI Prime HD to condition their schedule to my timezone.

Thanks!!
No need to jump to copper. Let them adjust and feed well before meds. I would put more pvc hiding fittings in there.

Hmmm. Not sure why Jojo’s pinkies got tagged but nevere enough pics of them.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back