The zero maintenance AIO Reef

Shroom boi 101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people have been searching for a tank that looks good, isn’t very expensive, and requires little to no matinence. Before saying there is no way that’s possible read this. Believe it or not I have made a tank that fits this description exactly.

Equipment:
Innovative marine nuvo 10 aio tank and stand
Ai prime
Tunze ozmolator nano
Intank media basket
Filter floss
Chemipure blue
Aqua max eco-rock

Livestock:
In such a small aquarium livestock choice is key. I was very very carful what I put in this tank and it tuned out great however this means keeping yourself from impulse buying things at your lfs. Currently I have no fish, however, I babysat a mandarin goby for about three months.( yes you can keep them in this small of an aquarium as long as you seed it with pods every 2 weeks for 6 months then dose accordingly when you see it getting skinnier.) and I plan to get a pair of clowns eventually. I do believe you need to always have a good clean up crew, however, I find with this small of a tank I only need one turbo snail because algae simply doesn’t grow. As for corals I stock it with very high end zoanthids and mushrooms along with a dendro but most LPS corals such as acans would do great in this environment.

Maintenance: none
I literally haven’t done a single thing for this tank except change the filter floss and chemipure ever 6 months. The tank has been running for almost a year and I have yet to have a crash, algae bloom, or any other major discouraging event.

Thanks for reading, updates will follow.

OP
OP
Shroom boi 101

Shroom boi 101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people have been searching for a tank that looks good, isn’t very expensive, and requires little to no matinence. Before saying there is no way that’s possible read this. Believe it or not I have made a tank that fits this description exactly.

Equipment:
Innovative marine nuvo 10 aio tank and stand
Ai prime
Tunze ozmolator nano
Intank media basket
Filter floss
Chemipure blue
Aqua max eco-rock

Livestock:
In such a small aquarium livestock choice is key. I was very very carful what I put in this tank and it tuned out great however this means keeping yourself from impulse buying things at your lfs. Currently I have no fish, however, I babysat a mandarin goby for about three months.( yes you can keep them in this small of an aquarium as long as you seed it with pods every 2 weeks for 6 months then dose accordingly when you see it getting skinnier.) and I plan to get a pair of clowns eventually. I do believe you need to always have a good clean up crew, however, I find with this small of a tank I only need one turbo snail because algae simply doesn’t grow. As for corals I stock it with very high end zoanthids and mushrooms along with a dendro but most LPS corals such as acans would do great in this environment.

Maintenance: none
I literally haven’t done a single thing for this tank except change the filter floss and chemipure ever 6 months. The tank has been running for almost a year and I have yet to have a crash, algae bloom, or any other major discouraging event.

Thanks for reading, updates will follow.

479e1e7f6f773631b4eeeee2973c7e2a.jpg

Here it is. Just waiting for everything to fill in

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh don’t worry. I lost $10,000 in my first reef because of one algae outbreak/ crash
Ouch! Sounds like what happened in my 500 except that it was copper poisoning thanks to an urchin that ate the plastic coating off a power cord. All that love and money down the drown. I also have two AIO tanks. One is a Biocube 32. The only thing I do is change the floss and chemipure/purigen. My hubby has a Fluval M40 16 gallon cube. He neglects it. He hasn’t tested anything in over six months and he onl occasionally changes the filter media. It’s now COVERED in hair algae. But.... he’s a guy..... he never listens!;Dead

OP
OP
Shroom boi 101

Shroom boi 101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! Sounds like what happened in my 500 except that it was copper poisoning thanks to an urchin that ate the plastic coating off a power cord. All that love and money down the drown. I also have two AIO tanks. One is a Biocube 32. The only thing I do is change the floss and chemipure/purigen. My hubby has a Fluval M40 16 gallon cube. He neglects it. He hasn’t tested anything in over six months and he onl occasionally changes the filter media. It’s now COVERED in hair algae. But.... he’s a guy..... he never listens!;Dead

Yikes. Oh yeah and by the way I’ve never actually tested the water in this tank.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. Oh yeah and by the way I’ve never actually tested the water in this tank.
You can do that if you take care of it in general. Not sure if he feeds too much or not but I do know that he runs plain carbon. I bought him some Chemipure Elite and Purigen. It might help. Who knows.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW...I purchased a CO2 reactor for my 60 cube last night so I could get the pH up. He gave me a very condescending look. I looked at him and said "Look at my tank...crystal clear. Now look at yours... nuff said!" Hehe

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back