OP
gabrieltackitt

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final Aquascape?

I think I have reached a final design for my aquascape. It uses all 50lb of rock that I got for this build so it should be more than enough filtration for what I’m planning.

27B3EA8A-B433-4C74-8F44-08749063176A.jpeg

8D03A720-DE1D-4DC1-B648-33B066F19AF7.jpeg

ECEE1055-3EE1-4D9A-9BFA-16E0C3EB020B.jpeg

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great, I really enjoy the dimensions of a 40 breeder.

A few thoughts and things I've found over the years that have helped me with aquascaping. I hope these are at least a little helpful for you (in no particular order).

1. I think deciding what you're going to do for flow first (type/placement of powerheads) is critical. Once you know this you can start to build the rockwork around the flow limitations of a given setup. In the end I think this helps to keep dead spots to a minimum and reduce the need for extra equipment later on.

2. Remember that sclerectinians get BIG. Mature colonies can easily take up a 12" cube of space. Leaving both vertical and horizontal room for growth is key to filling in space and allowing for colonies to mature without having to waste energy competing for room. I think the biggest "mistake" (I put quotations because it truly is preference) I see people make is having their aquascaping too close to the top of the water. Inevitably branching corals reach the top and need to be trimmed extensively to keep from shading others.

3. Keeping rocks away from the glass helps to keep maintenance from being a pain, and corals growing into it or impeding flow further down the aquarium.

4. For me utilizing a good bonding agent helps make intricate 3D structures and keeps any burrowing fish from knocking over stacked structures (E Marcos 400 is supposed to be amazing, but frag glue and epoxy work as well).

5. To go along with 4. If you're using sand, I suggest placing the rock on the glass first. This will give you peace of mind that it will stay sturdy over the years as corals add weight to them.

Again these are only thoughts/suggestions, and my 2 cents on aquascaping. No matter what you end up doing I know we're all excited to see where it ends up!

EmperorVtec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing something similar, if not the same. I will probably loop the return over the tank brace and into the tank. I have a lot to research and what not. lol. Tagging along. I am curious about the Herbie setup, and how to tweak, test, & maintain it.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I try, I do occasionally however suffer from over planning. I don’t see how that can hurt me in this hobby though, and it makes me extremely patient with changes.

Many many I have seen on here and other similar places suffer from a lack of patience and proper planning. So I would say you are a few steps ahead of the masses.

OP
OP
gabrieltackitt

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the dumb question; but you're saying I can use schedule 40 PVC pipes with schedule 80 PVC gate valves + unions (gray ones)? Thanks.

schedule-40-and-80-comparison.jpg
Yes, as far as I know. Basically when you mix them your system takes on the pressure rating of the lower rated parts. It’s all PVC so in my experience the bonding is the same whether it’s Sch 40 or Sch 80

OP
OP
gabrieltackitt

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a bit behind..

I fell behind on my updates. I haven't been sleeping well the last few days so I'm attempting to stay away from screens a few hours before bed, unfortunately that is generally when I've been updating this. I will try to start updating earlier in the night. I've gotten a few things done. Lots of planning. I have a huge tendency to over plan everything, do more research and struggle to decide what I want to do using that information.

Got some more supplies today from a few places. Started cementing the rock together for the aquascape. Hopefully I can finish that later tonight and get some more things going tomorrow. I am officially starting to fill the tank today too. I don't have an RODI yet so I am filling it 10 gallons at a time, and mixing salt in as I go. I won't officially say the tank is "wet" until the return pump is running and I feel like its actually started.

I actually did start cycling my QT so that it will be ready for my first fish additions to go through QT in time for them to be added to my DT at the correct time. I had a small Top Fin HOB from Petsmart, took all of the filter media out of it, added a sponge, some food, and some Dr. Tims to start the cycle. In the future I will keep a few sponges ready in my sump to use to cycle the QT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gabrieltackitt

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ALIVE..

I finally got it filled up! It took most of yesterday evening, but she is finally full. I had to fill her up 5 gallons at a time because I am using live sand and I didn't know how mixing in the tank would affect that and I wanted to be able to work with it before it was completely filled. Took me several hours today to get the overflow dialed in but it is as close to silent as I think I can get it, still some noise from water falling through the weirs, but the drains themselves are completely silent.

041820 FTS.jpg

I am fairly happy with the scape for now, I think I may move the rocks on the left around a bit, not super excited about them right now.

I have a @Bulk Reef Supply heater and an Inkbird controller that I am getting ready to install as well as an Ai Prime on the way that I bought used from @Mike Porreca and I will eventually add a second on for better coverage before I add anything that is too light hungry. Powerheads also from BRS are on their way, I decided to go with 2 Aqamai KPS because they are fairly small, and inexpensive plus they come with WIFI control built in instead of having to add an extra module or anything.

I will be building a stand wrap very soon, as well as some cabinets to match for either side. More pics to come at a later date.

OP
OP
gabrieltackitt

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ALIVE..

I finally got it filled up! It took most of yesterday evening, but she is finally full. I had to fill her up 5 gallons at a time because I am using live sand and I didn't know how mixing in the tank would affect that and I wanted to be able to work with it before it was completely filled. Took me several hours today to get the overflow dialed in but it is as close to silent as I think I can get it, still some noise from water falling through the weirs, but the drains themselves are completely silent.

041820 FTS.jpg

I am fairly happy with the scape for now, I think I may move the rocks on the left around a bit, not super excited about them right now.

I have a @Bulk Reef Supply heater and an Inkbird controller that I am getting ready to install as well as an Ai Prime on the way that I bought used from @Mike Porreca and I will eventually add a second on for better coverage before I add anything that is too light hungry. Powerheads also from BRS are on their way, I decided to go with 2 Aqamai KPS because they are fairly small, and inexpensive plus they come with WIFI control built in instead of having to add an extra module or anything.

I will be building a stand wrap very soon, as well as some cabinets to match for either side. More pics to come at a later date.

Mike Porreca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ALIVE..

041820 FTS.jpg

Looks awesome so far buddy! Can’t wait to see it fully alive lol.

Mike Porreca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm excited to start filling it up and watching it grow. I've got my eye on a pair of clowns at one of my LFS that I really want to add, hopefully he still has them when the cycle finishes.
Nice! I just evicted my pair of clowns to my frag tank, I just got an ORA black zombie clown. I should of just got the pair but, I’ll grab him a buddy later

Back