therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the coral and the desired outcome. It seems like some Acropora grow a lot faster under higher phosphates and lower nitrates (perhaps with ammonia as the nitrogen source), and are more resilient. However they can have a substantially different coloration under this scenario than one with higher nitrates. Other corals seem more resilient in my system with higher nitrates and grow better. It really depends on which Acropora it is. I have thought about starting a youtube channel with detailed info about almost every Acropora in my collection to consolidate all this info, but who knows when I will get around to that haha

Yeah, I’ve seem the same in my system. Some acros like that high phosphate and others slow down a bit. Some seem to love the higher nitrate. I’m trying to shoot for the middle of the road to keep them all fairly happy. 0.1-0.2 10-15.

Yes…please start a YouTube channel even if it’s short videos. I’d enjoy watching them, and learning from your experience and knowledge. Let me know when you start it and I’ll sub. :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey quick question. I find the RR Firecracker difficult to get going. I started with a tiny frag that wasn’t the most healthy but it really seems to struggle.

SoCaliReefs seems to have found the secret:
IMG_0315.jpeg

Does it prefer high light or lower light. I have a couple frags on the bottom in about 310 PAR. Those seem to look better and base better than the one in higher PAR. The fish poop also builds up in that corner so maybe their getting a lot of nutrition. The one in higher par gets more pink/red, but just seems to slow down.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Also, what is your experience with these turds.?

IMG_0303.jpeg

I think those are the spionid worms, correct? I think I had those early on when I had a single system in our previous house. When I got my majestic angelfish I treated the whole system with praziquantel and I think it may have wiped them out. I haven't added any live rock or much (if any) wild acropora since those days (around 2010) and I guess they haven't been reintroduced. I am not sure what their entire life cycle is, or if they could be eradicated by removing affected corals for a round of treatment in a quarantine tank?

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey quick question. I find the RR Firecracker difficult to get going. I started with a tiny frag that wasn’t the most healthy but it really seems to struggle.

SoCaliReefs seems to have found the secret:
IMG_0315.jpeg

Does it prefer high light or lower light. I have a couple frags on the bottom in about 310 PAR. Those seem to look better and base better than the one in higher PAR. The fish poop also builds up in that corner so maybe their getting a lot of nutrition. The one in higher par gets more pink/red, but just seems to slow down.
I have never actually grown this one out, but as far as I know it is one of the "Bali Shortcake" latistella variants. They seem to do fine in medium light levels, 300-400 PAR as you have found. They can be acclimated to higher intensities once they are well established, but they seem to lose color with more pale/white tips and I think the coloration looks better in lower PAR. All of these latistella variants can be pretty slow to get established but once they reach mini colony size they grow really quickly.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those are the spionid worms, correct?

Yes, coral boring Spionid Worms. I heard the only thing that’s been effective is Ivermectin, but I don’t know a good dose. I do have some on hand though in pill form. I may try some Praziquantel also. Do you remember your dose for the whole system? I will cut it down and try a dip with some infected frags.

I haven't added any live rock or much (if any) wild acropora since those days (around 2010) and I guess they haven't been reintroduced.

I think mine came in on the KP Aquatics LR.

Last edited:
OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is trade name coral collecting done right. Bravo. Very envious of some of those granulosas.
I think I have all the granulosa I've listed here available at the moment, aside from Hung's Rainbow. Finally have some Ari's avalanche big enough to cut too.

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have all the granulosa I've listed here available at the moment, aside from Hung's Rainbow. Finally have some Ari's avalanche big enough to cut too.
Thank you for letting me know. Definitely going to have to own that Sublime granulosa. I'll let the 105+ heat in Texas subside a bit and place an order

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's another that has been on my list a long time but for some reason never got its Glamour Shot...

Kind of a quick and dirty photo but it shows the colors nicely.

JF Sunday Driver
IMG_8282.jpeg
WOW! That's a beauty!!

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't post much, but I need to post on this thread. I have enjoyed looking through all the posts here. I have one question for you @therman, I currently have a 48x24x24 sps dominant tank and I run 2 reefbreeders up around 20" or so for the best spread. I have yet to get my whites up as high as you have without some kind of issue with lightening coral colors or reduced polyp extension. I know you blast the reefbreeders as you have said previously and curious is it just the type of corals I have currently (mostly from battlecorals or POTO). Corals are mostly growing since I have stopped caring about nutrient levels but I have a few that are just very light in color.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Due to the recent deletion of my old sales threads, the list of Acropora with hyperlinks to all of the different photos of them I had posted was removed from the forum. I managed to salvage that list with the links via a Google cache and have hastily edited it into the first post on page 1 of this thread.

Not every Acropora has a photo linked yet, but hopefully it can still function as a sort of index to the many varieties I've grown that I try to showcase here in a way that accurately represents them without sales hype :) As time allows I will try to add more links and photos.

Let me know if you find this useful, and if you have any suggestions as to how to improve it. I really like that R2R preserves posts in a searchable format, which is why I have chosen to post here over the years (rather than social media) to provide a lasting resource for others to use.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't post much, but I need to post on this thread. I have enjoyed looking through all the posts here. I have one question for you @therman, I currently have a 48x24x24 sps dominant tank and I run 2 reefbreeders up around 20" or so for the best spread. I have yet to get my whites up as high as you have without some kind of issue with lightening coral colors or reduced polyp extension. I know you blast the reefbreeders as you have said previously and curious is it just the type of corals I have currently (mostly from battlecorals or POTO). Corals are mostly growing since I have stopped caring about nutrient levels but I have a few that are just very light in color.

It does depend on the different species/varieties of Acropora, as to whether they can take certain intensities. There may also be variation in the different production runs of reef breeders with varying Cree LEDs as they have evolved over the years. Do you have a PAR meter to check what the actual intensity is near the corals? Knowing those numbers will help me better advise on your situation.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Due to the recent deletion of my old sales threads, the list of Acropora with hyperlinks to all of the different photos of them I had posted was removed from the forum. I managed to salvage that list with the links via a Google cache and have hastily edited it into the first post on page 1 of this thread.

Not every Acropora has a photo linked yet, but hopefully it can still function as a sort of index to the many varieties I've grown that I try to showcase here in a way that accurately represents them without sales hype :) As time allows I will try to add more links and photos.

Let me know if you find this useful, and if you have any suggestions as to how to improve it. I really like that R2R preserves posts in a searchable format, which is why I have chosen to post here over the years (rather than social media) to provide a lasting resource for others to use.

After some sleuthing it looks like the sale threads may not be deleted after all, it is just my access to it them is blocked. So that is good at least. Hopefully they can get back to me about sponsorship info.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After some sleuthing it looks like the sale threads may not be deleted after all, it is just my access to it them is blocked. So that is good at least. Hopefully they can get back to me about sponsorship info.
Sometimes, given all that is on Rev's plate, it's faster if you reach out to Daniel.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back