They came with the tank...

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry this is so long, I'm a bit detail oriented. If you don't care, just scroll to the bottom where my questions are located. LOL

A friend of mine was giving away her 29g saltwater set up, she'd had it for about 3 years. The inhabitants that came with it was lots of live rock, live sand, 2 clown fish, a flameback angel, a blue tuxedo urchin and a plethora of algae on the glass.

On my way from her place I stopped at the local saltwater fish store "The Shark Reef" (TSR). It was recommended that I replace the sand as it was quite smelly, so I did. I bought some marine salt since I couldn't save all the water that came with the tank and they sell RO water, as well as saltwater. I made a one time purchase of a 5g jug that can be refilled with the RO water for $0 or the saltwater for $1g (I got the saltwater this round). I also left with a hydrometer. This was Thursday. Yes, I've had it for all of 2.5 days.

I've kept various fish my entire life but this is my first saltwater tank. I've not had a tank set up in the house for about 7-8 years. Until recently I just had my goldies and koi outside. I've been interested and obsessed with the idea of having saltwater fish for quite some time. I'm in the process of saving up for a 75g complete set up from TSR but we'll worry about that later, as a lot hinges on what I'm able to learn about keeping a proper environment for these precious little inhabitants right now. One thing I've learned over the years is that no matter how much you read about a subject or Google it, the knowledge you gain by talking to a community of like-minded individuals cannot be beat. So here I am, finally posting instead of lurking.

Once I finally got home (2 hours later, it was a bit of a drive) I managed to get everything into the house by myself (husband was at work) and started cleaning up.

I had to use Google to find out what some of the equipment did, because you read about protein skimmers but until you're faced with a box of various pieces do you realize you really know NOTHING. Argh! I would have taken pictures but all but the light and heater were dismantled and put in a box before I arrived

I have what appears to be a nice heater, it's responsive and doesn't seem to heat the water up too fast. Aqueon Pro Heater. I have no idea if it's actually as nice as I think, but hey, that's why I'm here.

AquaC Remora-S protein skimmer, with an Ecoplus Submersible pump.

It also has a separate pump that I *think* is for current/movement, it's a Rio+180. I'm not real sure exactly where it would be best placed in the tank and for now it's on the left of the back of the tank about 6 inches below the surface.

The bulb on the hood of the tank was recently replaced with full spectrum lighting.

The odd habits of the residents were told to me. One being that even though the urchin is a vegetarian that he likes shrimp, too. The angel thinks it's a clownfish so hangs out with the pair. They're also tough fish, they've gone through several power outages in the dead of winter and recently a 13 hour outage. I'm sure they're pretty stressed with the move and the guy at TSR said that they're probably going die anyway. But I feel I owe them to do the best I know how.

There was a type of food that she gave me that none of them like, but she'd give it to me in case I added a fish that did. LOL I was also given some omnivore and herbivore food.

So once I got the glass mostly cleaned up, I stopped and realized I was cleaning up the urchin's buffet. I hoped that I didn't clean it up too much. I stopped by a big box store while I was out shopping today and got some Hikari brand algae tablets. It's a brand that's ok to give my koi and goldfish, so I hope it's not awful for these guys. I'm flying by the seat of my pants here! I also picked up some frozen mysis shrimp. I gave them a small cube a bit ago and everyone went crazy-banana-pants for it!

So....

Should I replace the lighting with an LED strip? I'm thinking about getting a piece of glass with a "trap door" instead. Good or bad idea?

I'm so used to having tons of filtration going on in a tank and ponds....filter, filter, filter. I feel like I'm missing something with just a protein skimmer.

I'm not made of money and I do know this is an expensive hobby. But, I also know that where there's a will there's a way and that you don't *always* have to go with "top of the line". It's all about priorities. I figure over time I'll upgrade this 29g or maybe I'll make it the hospital tank instead of my 20g that isn't doing anything right now.

Like I said, I had to replace the majority of the water and it wasn't until today that I learned I made a terrible mistake not acclimating the urchin more carefully. To be honest my biggest concern was that they were cold and in a bucket without any air bubbles, I couldn't find an air stone in my own supply box, all I had was a pump! DRAT! Getting the 4 of them out of the bucket became a priority and I know I should have been more prepared, but honestly, this all happened so fast! My original plan was to save up for my 75g, set it up with some live sand and rock and just let it cycle for 6-12 months. Maybe add a zoa or something, I dunno, but it wasn't having fish!

What else can I do to make sure I don't lose these guys or is too late, is it inevitable like the guy at TSR said?

Please...I'm in the business of saving lives (I'm a licensed vet tech) I even learned some fish medicine to keep my koi alive and I treat them when needed. The idea of these beauties dying because I'm stupid is killing me!

Thanks for any advice. I'll be around, reading ... reading... and reading some more.

Nancy

Spit.fire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do 100% water changes on some of my smaller tanks, i wouldnt worry about them unless you stirred up the sand, if you did dump some nutrafin cycle in the tank (or similiar products) and that should help out

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its great you used new sand. Your best bet is to make sure the temp is right, there is flow in the tank and the salinity is correct. You could keep an eye on ammonia but if you used the same rock that it came with (and it stayed wet) you shouldn't have any cycle. Clowns are pretty hardy. I love the aqueon pro btw I have 4 of them and never had an issue

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, fellow vet tech here. Welcome!

So it is not inevitable that they will die.
I would definitely be watching for ammonia from a mini cycle, the seachem ammonia badge works well to have in the tank.
Maybe feed lightly for a week or so, to allow any bacteria that died off in the move to have a chance to catch up.

Regarding lighting change, what fixture is on there? Like a regular T8 strip, compact fluorescent (bent tube with pins on one end), t5 (skinny tube). If your not sure, look at the numbers on the tube it should give us a clue.
What does the current hood look like?
Many of us run without a glass on the tank, helps with gas exchange and allows heat from lights to escape better.

Are there corals currently in the tank? They may need to be acclimated if you change to a stronger light source. Check out the artic t247, I have one and they aren't terribly expensive. You could add another one when you upgrade. That is something I would be looking at for the fixture, can I still use it when I upgrade?

Pictures of everything would help us figure out what, if anything needs to be change. And check here for advice before you buy any new equipment, we can help you sort through the good and bad LFS advice

A refractometer would be better to monitor salinity, sure you are familiar from work haha. You can get one online for $40-60 bucks. Calibration solution is used to calibrate at 1.026 since that is the range we are testing for. Randy over in the chemistry forum gave me a recipe to use 20mEq KCl to make some up, if they'll let you get a bottle at work.

Happy reefing!

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Spit.fire. I replaced the sand. :)

Thank-you shoelaceike. The live rock was kept in buckets of the previous tank water. So that's a plus.

Thanks cmcoker, I'll get a refractometer, it speaks the language that I understand far better than the hydrometer. I'd used the hydrometer 4 different times always setting it in the same level spot, always making sure the water is to the line and it gave me 4 different answers! Talk about frustrating! I think I checked the water with it at least 2 dozen times that first night.

I'm paranoid about jumping fish. I lost 3 oscars several years ago when they had jumped out the BACK of the tank. I searched everywhere for them, I thought. Found them eventually when I was moving the set up. Little brown crunchy guys. I was very sad.

There are no corals in the tank. Just the live rock and few bits of not live rock. That's it for now. I don't know if I'll be able to add what I want because of the clowns. Need to learn more about them and make sure they're not going to eat anything I put in there. I'm in no hurry to do so anyway, the tank isn't going anywhere and it's adorable with just the 4 current residents.

Here's pics.
aqueon tube.jpg
front view.jpg
full view.jpg
light label.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help! I'm grateful.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Spit.fire. I replaced the sand. :)

Thank-you shoelaceike. The live rock was kept in buckets of the previous tank water. So that's a plus.

Thanks cmcoker, I'll get a refractometer, it speaks the language that I understand far better than the hydrometer. I'd used the hydrometer 4 different times always setting it in the same level spot, always making sure the water is to the line and it gave me 4 different answers! Talk about frustrating! I think I checked the water with it at least 2 dozen times that first night.

I'm paranoid about jumping fish. I lost 3 oscars several years ago when they had jumped out the BACK of the tank. I searched everywhere for them, I thought. Found them eventually when I was moving the set up. Little brown crunchy guys. I was very sad.

There are no corals in the tank. Just the live rock and few bits of not live rock. That's it for now. I don't know if I'll be able to add what I want because of the clowns. Need to learn more about them and make sure they're not going to eat anything I put in there. I'm in no hurry to do so anyway, the tank isn't going anywhere and it's adorable with just the 4 current residents.

Here's pics.
aqueon tube.jpg
front view.jpg
full view.jpg
light label.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help! I'm grateful.

Cool, you could probably take a sample to work and throw on the refractometer to compare for now. A clinical refractometer is not perfect for saltwater but give you an idea anyway.

For the jumping, lots of people use a window screen kit but use 1/4in bird netting, instead of window screen.

Bulkreefsupply.com has a kit to give you an idea
,http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-1-4-netting.html

For your size tank, you could probably source this locally for cheaper. I got the stuff at lowes, but 1/4in net can be harder to find..
With the hob equipment, you could use a piece of acrylic or egg crate or something along the back to make it easily to customize to you filter setup.

With corals, acrylic or glass top wil reduce light some, the netting is negligible light loss.

You might consider stacking your rock to obstruct the skimmer pump, a black background would also minimize it's appearance.

The clowns should be fine with about anything you want to add, except other damsel fish.. They are reef safe. As they become mature they will probably claim most of the tank as their home from other fish. Inverts will be fine.

Flow wise, if food swirls around a little you are ok for now. If it sinks straight down you need more flow.
The corals you want in the future will dictate how much flow you need eventually. I think you will probably need more, koralia makes some decent not too expensive powerheads. I use Jebao WP series, they have a newer RW series (I want the newer ones but am on a budget as well.)

I think your next step should be monitor for mini cycle after the move. Figure out you aquscape, once you are sure you are not cycling and get some algae growth starting, add some more clean up crew. A variety of snails. Somewhere in there upgrade lights, probably pumps.

Take it slow, you will see over and over in the forums, that nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. It's true. :) so research, research, research

Have fun!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins will eat sheets of Nori Algae, you can find it at Petco and such, inexpensive. Use a mag float or fish food clip to keep it in place. Once the Urchins figures out the where the food source is it will return to feed.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Another vet tech here, well in a former life. I seem to be on my fourth life now. :)

It sounds like the initial stuff is covered. You have experience in fresh and koi, so that will help. Yes, we use a different language, but you will catch on quick.

Refractometers are much better. Especially since they are a no brainer for you to use. Keep the salinity stable and the temp stable and these guys will do okay till you learn a bit more. Remember, as the water evaporates, you want to replace it with ro/di or ro water. Seems like a duh for many of us, but you would be surprised how many overlook that fact. Especially new to hobby. With fresh you topped off, but did not have to think "is this salt"? Here you do have to think "is this fresh"?

As far as light, with fish and the urchin you do not have to worry about changing it yet. Unless you just like the idea of led strip instead. It will be less heat, but the fish do not need the light. Actually, just like with fresh, the light is only for growing algae. :) Urchin will like that. Totally different story when you add corals though!!!

At this point water changes will be your best extract method along with protein skimmer. Just make sure to do a few gallons each week. Make sure the temp is the same though and salinity.

These fish like to swim in and out of caves and such, so build some into the rockwork there. :) Aquascaping is fun. Keep repeating that each time you decide to redo it.

Ammonia badge should be put in though. Found at any petsmart. Seachem ammonia badge.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing how things go.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome information cmcoker, tahoe61, DeniseAndy, thank-you!

I admit that I just threw the rock in and left the background picture she gave me in my jeep. I was so concerned with getting them out of the bucket I figured I'd "do it all later". It looks hideous but I'll fix it up.

I was thinking about adding some more live rock at some point as well, but wasn't sure when, or even if, that would be appropriate. I'll be picking up the ammonia badge asap.

So far, corals don't interest me much, saying that may prove to be the kiss of death. :p
However, I'm crazy about zoanthids.

Thanks again!

Nancy

aviationreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoanthids are some of the easiest corals to keep, and they grow with almost any light.

Ammonia badges are awesome i keep one on my tank at all times.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the zoas because they look like flowers and there are so many different colors.

Will the clowns or angel eat zoas? What about the urchin, is he going to wear zoas as a hat? LOL

The only 2 things I would like to add to the tank, probably well after the new year, is a chocolate chip starfish and a fire shrimp.
I have other hobbies to keep me busy and I've mellowed with age, I don't have to have everything right.this.minute.

They came with names, too. Female clown is Clementine, male is Jerry, the angel is Renet. She called the urchin, just Urchie. I'm going to call him Street:p

aviationreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
angel's are know for coral eating not 100% chance but a risk.

CC starfish will 100% eat corals.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back