Think It Might Be A Pair...

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got these 2 Helfrichis last month. They have been doing great despite the losses of some corals. Anyhow they have made a small cave in some LR. They always sleep in the same hole right next to eachother. Today when i came home i only saw one Helfrichi out and about. This is the larger of the two and has some frayed fins from establishing territory with a coral beauty, yellow tang, and clown. The smaller one is inside of the cave. I thought maybe it was getting picked on but its fins are fine. I fed brine shrimp but it stayed in the hole while the other guarded outfront. When some brine floated past the hole she would poke out and grab it without ever leaving the cave. This leads me to believe that they might be a pair. Is she guarding something in that cave? Has anyone had experience with breeding Helfrichis? What do you guys think?
c6e4c06c-939a-3934.jpg
c6e4c06c-93ae-8727.jpg
c6e4c06c-93f9-748d.jpg

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are older she could be guarding eggs. Have you seen weird mating dance go on between them?

OP
OP
Xler8n

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure but those are some great pics!

Thanks. Shot with my iphone. If i had a Canon they would be 10x better.

To tell you the truth i really havent had a chance to watch them during the day lately. Before i bought them i watched them for 2 days. There were 4 at the LFS and these seemed to always be at each others side while the others swam freely. I will keep watch but wont the fry (if there are any eggs) get eaten by the other fish?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back