Thinking about adding a kole tang

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about finding a kole tang to add to my tank to manage my caulerpa algae growth. Are they good algae pickers?

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good news this caulerpa is getting out of control.

FishWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I'm not real strong in the quarantine Department

I rolled the dice when I bought mine, didn't quarantine, and we got lucky with a nice healthy fish. That said, I doubt I'd take the chance again. Don't some LFS's use copper and other stuff in their tanks to minimize sick fish? I know it's not the same as quarantining. but better than nothing........

What about waiting for one on Diver's Den?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my kole I think it's a good decision

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping maybe I'll get lucky and find one from someone who's had one in their tank for a while. I'm thinking about moving my tank so maybe I should wait

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find an LFS that runs copper in their fish tanks and buy a fish that's been there awhile and looks healthy.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rolled the dice when I bought mine, didn't quarantine, and we got lucky with a nice healthy fish. That said, I doubt I'd take the chance again. Don't some LFS's use copper and other stuff in their tanks to minimize sick fish? I know it's not the same as quarantining. but better than nothing........

What about waiting for one on Diver's Den?
Actually, it can work the other way. Running copper at levels below therapeutic can actually mask things like Ich and Velvet without killing them. It may give you a false sense of security. Maybe @Humblefish or @melypr1985 can expound on that more.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, it can work the other way. Running copper at levels below therapeutic can actually mask things like Ich and Velvet without killing them. It may give you a false sense of security. Maybe @Humblefish or @melypr1985 can expound on that more.

^^ This is true. Subtherapeutic copper eliminates some of the free swimmers but not all. A few attach and become trophonts on the fish (usually inside the gills.) So what you get is a "slightly infested" fish, but the parasites come back with a vengeance once he/she is removed from copper water. :eek:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ This is true. Subtherapeutic copper eliminates some of the free swimmers but not all. A few attach and become trophonts on the fish (usually inside the gills.) So what you get is a "slightly infested" fish, but the parasites come back with a vengeance once he/she is removed from copper water. :eek:
Thank you Humblefish! I was hoping I was correct with this. I would hate for people to have a misconception on something this important!

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point, Brew and Humblefish. However, I don't think anyone was claiming that fish purchased from an LFS that runs copper would be guaranteed to be healthy. I think the point was that some people aren't into quarantining fish. IMO, fish from a quality LFS that runs copper are a better choice than fish from a certain chain store or an LFS that doesn't run copper if you're not going to quarantine them. Of course, quarantining new fish is the best way to go.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back