Thinking of a second sump...

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Recently added a frag tank that is plumbed into my main display.2 return pumps and very simple setup. I have no room under my tank for a refugium but I would like to run one as I have in the past.thinking of putting a sump under my frag tank for this purpose but the plumbing would have to be redone somehow,,,thoughts?

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a frag tank that is plumbed into my main display.2 return pumps and very simple setup. I have no room under my tank for a refugium but I would like to run one as I have in the past.thinking of putting a sump under my frag tank for this purpose but the plumbing would have to be redone somehow,,,thoughts?
Any pics of the setup? It would be easier to give recommendations if we knew what we were working with.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a second 100g Rubbermaid plumbed in. Perfect for where changes. 100g changes take 10 min. Tops

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most simple answer would be drill the sump, use 2 90's and a screen (to catch macro algae) to make a rudimentary overflow/drain, and use a feed pump for the refugium. That way the only plumbing you need to do is the overflow. You'll need to make sure the overflow drain on the refugium is higher than the sump.

Attachments

• Sump idea.jpg
    Sump idea.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 41

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The challenge is the limited elevation you have to work with. The second sump will have to be elevated to allow it to drain into the current sump. It can be done but you will have to pay close attention to the elevations and possibly limit the flow to the frag tank. You may need to drain the second sump into the skimmer chamber through a drilled opening on the side and a bulkhead rather than coming from the top.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a manifold to the main tank and direct a line to the refugium, then have the refugium dump into your frag tank

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could connect Both sumps together by drilling and connecting them with pvc and bulkheads below their waterline. Ideally I would think you’d want both tanks to drain on one side of the sump train and return together on the other side.

otherwise I think you are stuck having your refugium elevated and drain into the existing sump

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back