thinking of adding coral to my 4x2x2 1/2 tank need suggestions

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all i am thinking of adding some xenia and gsp to my 90 gallon fish only tank, it currently has this light https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fluval-marine-and-reef-20-led-strip-light-59-watts-2902817?cm_mmc=PSH|GGL|CCY|CCO|PM|0|7ToihifihjCfwQNzxc75W9|||0|0|||18151225844&gclid=CjwKCAjw3oqoBhAjEiwA_UaLtkh4JGr69rlABjWr9Cljf5CNyaTZ7anDbAHoziyxfF9K1XGdqAw3wBoCJs8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds im wondering if it will be enough to grow gsp,xenia, and maybe some palys. I also want to add that i am keeping a blue spot toby who is a bit aggressive and generally a jerk to me and in my brain what better way would it be able to make me mad then eat coral lol so thoughts on tobys with coral? any that are less likely to get eaten? also have a pair of lemon butterflys in it that are may nibble aswell so is it worth a shot and would you try it with cheap corals you grow plenty of? also wondering if fish eat palys if they get sick or die like we would getting the toxin into us as humans?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light will be....."ok" for xenia and very few GSP's. Keep in mind that these both tend to grow fast and will take over if you let it.
Also , consider upgrading for the future as you may get bitt by the reefer bug and want to get other types.
Just a thought :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, the xenia can be a risk in a tank that big. it If a little piece breaks off it will grow where it lands. it will spread all over if a fish starts to pull it apart. I have some in a 10 gallon tank that can be tough to keep under control.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, the xenia can be a risk in a tank that big. it If a little piece breaks off it will grow where it lands. it will spread all over if a fish starts to pull it apart. I have some in a 10 gallon tank that can be tough to keep under control.
thats the idea is get fast growing corals the fish can eat if they decide to, i dont and will not ever be willing to spend several hundred dollars on lights for coral so i only do LPS nano reefs which i have a few of so xenia spreading is actually the goal just to give the tank some more life and hiding places for fish.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats the idea is get fast growing corals the fish can eat if they decide to, i dont and will not ever be willing to spend several hundred dollars on lights for coral so i only do LPS nano reefs which i have a few of so xenia spreading is actually the goal just to give the tank some more life and hiding places for fish.
Well Xenia will do that for you but, there is only like 1-3 fish that will actually eat it. The rest will either leave it alone or pick at it and get it loose.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful :p

1694791658027.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back