Thinking of Angels and Buttflyfish for My Setup - Going FOWLR?

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There,

So I have been thinking more about my final additions to my 125G. My last fish I added was a Stripped Rabbitfish, which I love. However, I know they are possible fleshy coral eaters so it got me thinking since I'm almost done with adding fish why not just go FOWLR and maybe go SPS only later on.

So if I went FOWLR I think I would add a Butterfly fish like a Racoon, Spotband, or Threadfin and if I can squeeze one in - a Majestic.

I have heard that Majestics and some butterflies are compatible in SPS only tanks as they don't really pick at SPS, but tend to love softies and LPS. My thought on this is I've QT'ed hardcore and I can finish up with these final additions and chill for a while then maybe in the future I can add SPS corals.

With SPS corals, I have a lot of fish that will eat most pests. A butterfly would eat pest anemones, my wrasse would eat nudis and spiders, and I have smaller azure damsels that can eat flatworms. I'm well covered from a coral pest perspective and I keep hearing that coral type dominant coral systems are easier then mixed reefs.

If I moved to SPS I would not do Acros. I would go with Montis, Slytos, and Ponciis. I would stick with the easier stuff. Might get some leathers too since I also hear butterflies don't really like them.

Thoughts? I can skip the Majestic if it's too big for the tank. I was just thinking about it out loud xD.

Current Inhabitants:

- 2 Occi Clowns
- 1 Orchid Dotty
- 1 Longfin Fairy Wrasse
- 1 Malanarus Wrasse
- 1 Kole Tang
- 2 Azure Damsels
- 1 Stripped Rabbitfish

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majestic gets a foot long when fully grown and needs 180 minimum. I would definitely skip it. Butterflies would be great if you go FOWLR. Spotband was high on my list until I started adding coral frags. Butterflies would be less aggressive and more peaceful inhabitants than Angels, although your Tang might not like similar profile fish and could bully them. As for SPS? Not with those Butterflies or Angels. They really don't care what variety of corals they are, they will likely not just nibble on them, but devour them. These are the Angels best suited for your size tank:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/categor...15+18&r=3129&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

Back