Thinking of the Current USA Lights

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some may think I am crazy here, but I currently set up a 75 and got two of the Kesil 360's with the goose necks. I was considering trading the Kessils out for the Current USA ones. I am running the Current pump and wave pumps and thought it would be nice to control everything from their app. I do have corals, but just some hammers, frogspawns and ricordias and some others. If the Kessil controller was wifi I would be ok with that. Any thoughts on this? Would I regret this?

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some may think I am crazy here, but I currently set up a 75 and got two of the Kesil 360's with the goose necks. I was considering trading the Kessils out for the Current USA ones. I am running the Current pump and wave pumps and thought it would be nice to control everything from their app. I do have corals, but just some hammers, frogspawns and ricordias and some others. If the Kessil controller was wifi I would be ok with that. Any thoughts on this? Would I regret this?

Depending on what you are growing the lights are fine but I have heard bad things about the pumps.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my own opinion, but I would definitely not do that. The kessils, while not wifi controllable, are a much better light than the current lights. Once you get the kessil set up on a schedule, you should not have to do anything more with it. Just let them run their program and let them be. The more simple the better

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It all depends on the Current Marine lights. The Obit Marine I had and upgrade for the reason that the Obit was not doing the job. Now the pros I cannot verify if they can or cannot do the job but understand that the pro's are a much stronger light.

I would suggest adding a third light over trading out for the current.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my own opinion, but I would definitely not do that. The kessils, while not wifi controllable, are a much better light than the current lights. Once you get the kessil set up on a schedule, you should not have to do anything more with it. Just let them run their program and let them be. The more simple the better

I was just about to mention you;)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of using whatever lights you like. :)

I'm not a fan of change for change's sake IF the point is to keep a stable reef. Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup already, so this is worth considering.

If you look at this change as an experiment, however, then it's worth a certain level of upset and the care to get things into a new balance.

On their own merits, the lights you're considering are excellent.

Obviously the look is going to be different as you'll be coming from spotlights that bring LOTS of drama to the look.

The strips will take the look a lot more in the direction of T5's where all the effects are mostly muted.

As long as you take care to match intensity with your existing lights (light meter!) then your corals won't care much about the changes one way or the other. :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back