thinkng going fallow for ich, need advise

Raideress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, thinking of going fallow for 8-9 weeks to get rid of ich, been living with it, tried polyplabs medic not sure it did anything, maybe kept it from every getting bad, but stopped using it, ive lost no fish but it still an issue, i asked LFS for a copper treatment for ich, They gave me vertonex at home i see its reef safe, Hmm pretty sure that translates into worthless
so tomorrow i go back agan grrr, thinking maybe i could add the vertonex to the display tank tonight just to help out my Royal gramma who is looking a little rough, should i do that, or will everything end up blue? or dead? setting up a tank to treat with copper hopefully ready tomorrow, should i just wait? any recommendations on what copper treatments to get (in australia)
Just to confirm you treat for 2 weeks and stay fallow at least 8 weeks?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76 days is the generally recommended period for fallow. You can treat with copper for 2 weeks but the fish need to be transferred to a clean QT tank at the end of 2 weeks, if you are going to leave them in the same tank for the fallow period then a 4 week copper treatment is recommended. and remember that the treatment period of copper does not include the time it takes to ramp up to therapeutic doses. some great resources over on humble.fish and in the fish disease forum.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all above except humblefish now says if temp >81F 6 weeks fallow. He was the guy that came up with 76 days so I think it’s safe to go with his new recommendation.

not sure what copper meds are available in Australia. Hopefully someone else chimes in.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your having a hard time finding copper in AU, you might want to have a read up on TTM(Tank Transfer Method).

I prefer this method as opposed to exposing my fish to a harmful chemical that can kill them if not done right.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back