This algea keeps spreading...help...

Southern Fishing Co.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 6 month old tank. In the last few weeks I've noticed(what I think is) green turf algea. It started on the rock on the left and has quickly spread to my whole tank as you can see in the picture. Ive tried scrubbing the rock but nothing comes off and for the last 3 weeks I started using red seas NO3/PO4 algea management with no noticeable change. Ive also started to run the lights at 6-8hrs a day vs 10-12 and at night and morning I have it covered to blackout out when the lights are off. I've read some other opinions but really haven't found a answer that I felt confident about. Any help would be great.....also in the last 2 weeks my nitrates and phosphate has been on the high side...ive also cut back on how much I feed to see if that helps and I do weekly water changes once a week every week normally 5 or 10 gal depending on my parameters I have about a 32 gallon display tank . Ive also attached a photo with just the white light on so you can see the green. Also it seems everything is browning out but ive been doing everything ive found researching about browning out but still seems to be happening.....in the blue light you'd never know until the white light is turned on.

20210305_123240.jpg 20210305_123106.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Green cyano.
Usually dark green despite name. While it should be treated like regular cyano, this stuff is generally more difficult to get rid of because most clean up crew species are uninterested in it. Chitons, limpets, and nerite snails can eat it, but don't expect them to do the whole job for you.
Wipe glass with mag float, light toothbrush hardier corals and the rocks. Cyano on the sand can sometimes be pulled off as a mat and discarded. You should use a net or a siphon to remove the cyano dislodged by the toothbrush. Don't be discouraged if it comes right back, cyano grows fast and is extremely efficient at consuming nutrients. To make matters worse, species under this heading seem better at handling nutrient lulls than other forms of nuisance algae.
use a pouch of Chemipure Elite to remove excess phosphates in the system. Check to make sure you are not feeding any foods that are particularly phosphate rich. Almost all foods when converted by animals will add to the tank's phosphates levels, but prepared foods like seasoned nori and low quality fish meals tend to be higher in phosphates than other foods. Liquified foods tend to have more waste than others, plankton cultures that haven't matured can lead to blooms as well. Such feedings should be suspended or stopped if possible until the outbreak is under control.
Lowering or turning off white lights will also help.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back