This be enough to seed new tank?

Captain45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Question, would two bags of small ceramic rings from my Fluval 13.5 be enough to seed a new IM Nuvo 20 to start the cycling process?

Fluvalrings.jpg

Short backstory, Im upgrading my fluval 13.5 to a IM Nuvo 20 but don't think I'm going to do a one day transfer to the new tank. I want to spend some time aquascaping the Nuvo with Dry LifeRock and new Livesand instead of immediately transferring my established fluval LR with all my livestock on it. I may, juuust may keep my fluval 13.5 running as a QT anyways.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rings don't have any living bacteria on them so they would not help to seed a new tank

Edit: sorry didn't notice you mentioned they were already in your 13.5! In that case they would definitely help but you might still wanna add some bottled bac and/or live rock as well

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two bags have been in my Fluval sump for a month or so.
Just edited my first post! Sorry I missed that at first! In that case they would definitely help but you might still wanna add some bottled bac and/or live rock as well

OP
OP
C

Captain45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just edited my first post! Sorry I missed that at first! In that case they would definitely help but you might still wanna add some bottled bac and/or live rock as well
heh np. Yeah I was kinda thinking the bags were a bit low on bac as well. I like the hitchhikers and diversity on my fluvals LR. Its really healthy so maybe Ill try to snag one good piece out of there to move over as well. I just know taking any LR will upset the overall design of my Fluval aquascape and I dont really want to gamble with new LR from the LFS with unknown hitchikers. Ill have to think this transfer through a bit more. My Fluval arch is three pieces. The left is a small LR supporting the arch but my Ric's are currently splitting across the two pieces and essentially have it "glued" together lol. The right side of the arch is supported by a big piece of LR but its the main pillar of the arch. The island LR in the middle has my RFA's and they are really happy at the moment. decisions decisions

Last edited:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heh np. Yeah I was kinda thinking the bags were a bit low on bac as well. I like the hitchhikers and diversity on my fluvals LR. Its really healthy so maybe Ill try to snag one good piece out of there to move over as well. I just know taking any LR will upset the overall design of my Fluval aquascape and I dont really want to gamble with new LR from the LFS with unknown hitchikers. Ill have to think this transfer through a bit more.
I wouldn't wanna mess with the design and harmony of your Fluval either personally... Since it's a pretty small tank I would probably take the risk with hitchhikers on new live rock although I get that that can be a pain...like I said, the bags will definitely help though but it might just take a little extra time for the bacteria to spread than if you added bottled bac as well or put some live rock in there

musicman223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a few weeks late, but could you grab a little scoop of sand from the existing tank as well? Should have some good bugs, etc, in there as well.

If you've already done this, what did you do and how did it all turn out?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A pea-sized piece of filter media would be enough to seed a new tank, but a month's time sitting in your sump won't get much on it.

OP
OP
C

Captain45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a few weeks late, but could you grab a little scoop of sand from the existing tank as well? Should have some good bugs, etc, in there as well.

If you've already done this, what did you do and how did it all turn out?
I just started the cycle last night. Took awhile to get ahold of some special grade sand. I ended up using all new cycled life rock from my LFS which is kept in a very low light tank. I used this on my Fluval 13.5 when I set it up and had good luck with a quick cycle and no unwanted pests (mostly). My Fluval has a bit of an explosive collonista snail population... I should have removed the first one I saw so I figure I don't want that per se in my IM20 so I'm probably not going to seed with sand or ceramic rings from that tank. I'm going to let it fully cycle the slow old fashion way.

With that said I absolutely love this IM 20, it's so sleek and well thought out. Just need to finish leveling.

Water is still cloudy but :

20220724_125647.jpg
20220724_125745.jpg
20220724_125602.jpg
20220724_121847.jpg
20220724_121833.jpg
20220724_121840.jpg

Back