This coral isn't doing so well....

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nuvo_reef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Nuvo_reef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 15, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
3
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I bought this coral from the store a few weeks ago, but I forgot to ask about its name. I wanted to see if anyone can help identify it!

It has been shedding a lot of tissue around the edges. Right now, it has medium water flow and low lighting. What do y’all think?



Screenshot 2026-09-07 at 11.27.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2026-09-07 at 11.27.48 PM.png
 
Looks like a chalice. I’ve had hit or miss luck with them
 
Hi! I bought this coral from the store a few weeks ago, but I forgot to ask about its name. I wanted to see if anyone can help identify it!

It has been shedding a lot of tissue around the edges. Right now, it has medium water flow and low lighting. What do y’all think?



Screenshot 2026-09-07 at 11.27.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2026-09-07 at 11.27.48 PM.png
It looks like a brain coral, likely Platygyra based on the ridged valleys and growth pattern. Some tissue loss after moving to a new system can happen from shipping or acclimation stress, but continued recession is something to watch closely. I’d keep the flow moderate and indirect, avoid strong light changes, and make sure alkalinity, calcium, salinity, and temperature are stable. If the recession continues, I’d look for tissue damage or signs of infection rather than increasing light or flow aggressively.
 
You can see the lepto under the red deaths



image.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new