This crab is 4x bigger in 4 months.

  • Thread starter Thread starter BryanM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BryanM

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2024
Messages
8,908
Reaction score
10,987
Location
Morgan Hill
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The entire crab was the size of his body when we first saw him.

He has been named Popeye.

IMG_2213.jpeg
IMG_2212.jpeg
 
I have a few small emeralds, I hope they grow to be that big!!
I feel emerald = green.

This dude is fire engine red... doesnt come thru completely with the mostly blue light.

This is the first time my wife or I have seen him NOT on the rockwork.
 
I feel emerald = green.

This dude is fire engine red... doesnt come thru completely with the mostly blue light.

This is the first time my wife or I have seen him NOT on the rockwork.

It looks like a Red Mithrax crab to me which is a relative to the Emerald crab. It is an algae eater, you can see the flat parts on it's claws. It is basically a red emerald crab but technically more suited for reef as thats more natural to them then the greens.

It is a male too, and males do grow larger.
 
It looks like a Red Mithrax crab to me which is a relative to the Emerald crab. It is an algae eater, you can see the flat parts on it's claws. It is basically a red emerald crab but technically more suited for reef as thats more natural to them then the greens.

It is a male too, and males do grow larger.
Thanks!

he mostly is on the rock, and picks away at whatever he can get.

He seems hungry too.... and coming out more. Very rare / new that he was out by the glass.
 
Thanks!

he mostly is on the rock, and picks away at whatever he can get.

He seems hungry too.... and coming out more. Very rare / new that he was out by the glass.

I would target feed him, maybe pick up some algae pellets or offer nori too.

They are "with caution" because if a crab gets hungry....
 
I would target feed him, maybe pick up some algae pellets or offer nori too.

They are "with caution" because if a crab gets hungry....
Ugh.

i am now very much lamenting the phrase "Reef safe with caution".

i have a dwarf angel - he's a cool dude. but he likes softies.

and now I have to try and catch him.

and I feel like a fool.
 
Ugh.

i am now very much lamenting the phrase "Reef safe with caution".

i have a dwarf angel - he's a cool dude. but he likes softies.

and now I have to try and catch him.

and I feel like a fool.

If it is a lemon peel, I would say those are one of the least safe dwarfs :) I wouldn't even consider them safe at all tbh. I would trust the crab more, ha!
 
If it is a lemon peel, I would say those are one of the least safe dwarfs :) I wouldn't even consider them safe at all tbh. I would trust the crab more, ha!
lemon peel or not, he's got a taste for the trachy. He just needs a new home. I don't care at this point.

only sadness is he's a really neat fish. too bad he likes corals.
 
lemon peel or not, he's got a taste for the trachy. He just needs a new home. I don't care at this point.

only sadness is he's a really neat fish. too bad he likes corals.

Ya they are so beautiful. I would certainly have one if I had a FOWLR.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new