This doesn't appear to be a melanaris wrasse

gregrock68

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2024
Messages
417
Reaction score
339
Location
Haymarket
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I purchased a melanaris wrasse to help out with my red planaria problem about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. It was shipped across the country and after acclamation and put it in the tank and thought it's colors looked a bit strange, but figured it was stressed and had been in the dark for quite some time and it was probably not the typical color range. Fast forward to tonight and lo and behold guess who popped up swimming around the tank. I got them to eat some and he seems like he's settling in but his coloration still doesn't look correct for the type of species. Does anybody recognize what kind of wrasse this is ?

20250527_205903.jpg
20250527_205913.jpg
20250527_205935.jpg
 
Its Halichoeres hortulanus, a Halichoeres like melanurus but it gets much bigger. Best known as the checkerboard wrasse it is pretty common. They are definitely one of the more aggressive Halichoeres species and probably not reef safe.
 
Its Halichoeres hortulanus, a Halichoeres like melanurus but it gets much bigger. Best known as the checkerboard wrasse it is pretty common. They are definitely one of the more aggressive Halichoeres species and probably not reef safe.

I'd also say it does not look in good shape, its underweight and missing scales.
 
I'd also say it does not look in good shape, its underweight and missing scales.
Agree. That fish is in pretty rough shape.
Thx everyone. Everyone is spot on for the identication. Yes, she's been hiding in the sand for 17 days so she's malnourished and tattered. Hopefully now that she's out I can nurse her back to health
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new