This is my 125 gall tank (3 yrs old)

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is 3 years old (125 gal). I credit my apex controller with the tank stabilty which has allowed me to achieve this. Im running the coral lab study SPS AB+ program for color spectrum on the Ecotech radions. My PAR is 260 at mid center of tank.

IMG_3835.JPG

I feed BRS reef chili, and reef roids 2 or 3 times a week. I auto dose cal+alk ( 80ml per day ) from neptune dos. I run the tank at 77.9 degrees. I dont add additives/trace elements anymore. I change a cup and a half of carbon every two weeks. I do 17% water changes once every 6-8 weeks.

IMG_3826.JPG

I run a refugium with caulerpa macro algae in my basement (full of pods). I feed 90% frozen foods to fish 5 times a week, and only add pellets once a week. The mandarin is 2 years old and fat.

IMG_3612.JPG

Close up dead center shot with Neptune's Par sensor somewhere in there. The lower right corner shows a DIY nylon protective box over the clam - preventing nipping.

IMG_3796.JPG

The blue mushrooms were hitchhikers on my very first live rock purchase. They have exploded to almost pests porportions, but they are nice looking. I have to cut them away from any SPS as they sting them pretty hard.

IMG_3802.JPG

The armor of god palys have blossomed after being moved away from the Rohodactic. The yellow leather was a lot smaller and less colorful when purchased. I was encouraged not to buy it by the LFS at the time, but I lucked out and the light color program worked great.

IMG_3816.JPG

This is the left side view looking down 4 feet. The pumps are turned off for the camera, but otherwise I run a great deal of flow with two Ecotech MP40s, and one MP10 in the center. The green stylos have to be trimmed almost weekly now.

IMG_3765.JPG

The clown fish have laid eggs on the shell to the left. They have ignored the long tentacle plate coral and accepted the Rohodactis mushrooms as hosts for a year.

IMG_3716.JPG

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank.....can I ask what your Nitrate and phosphate numbers sit at as well as the maximum intensity of the Radions?

OP
OP
TravisParsley

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4048.JPG
Beautiful tank.....can I ask what your Nitrate and phosphate numbers sit at as well as the maximum intensity of the Radions?
Thank you. I run my gen 3 radions w pros at 5 1/2 inches above the water surface. I had to slowly ramp up to this over 6 months or so. Here is my day program:

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is 3 years old (125 gal). I credit my apex controller with the tank stabilty which has allowed me to achieve this. Im running the coral lab study SPS AB+ program for color spectrum on the Ecotech radions. My PAR is 260 at mid center of tank.

IMG_3835.JPG

I feed BRS reef chili, and reef roids 2 or 3 times a week. I auto dose cal+alk ( 80ml per day ) from neptune dos. I run the tank at 77.9 degrees. I dont add additives/trace elements anymore. I change a cup and a half of carbon every two weeks. I do 17% water changes once every 6-8 weeks.

IMG_3826.JPG

I run a refugium with caulerpa macro algae in my basement (full of pods). I feed 90% frozen foods to fish 5 times a week, and only add pellets once a week. The mandarin is 2 years old and fat.

IMG_3612.JPG

Close up dead center shot with Neptune's Par sensor somewhere in there. The lower right corner shows a DIY nylon protective box over the clam - preventing nipping.

IMG_3796.JPG

The blue mushrooms were hitchhikers on my very first live rock purchase. They have exploded to almost pests porportions, but they are nice looking. I have to cut them away from any SPS as they sting them pretty hard.

IMG_3802.JPG

The armor of god palys have blossomed after being moved away from the Rohodactic. The yellow leather was a lot smaller and less colorful when purchased. I was encouraged not to buy it by the LFS at the time, but I lucked out and the light color program worked great.

IMG_3816.JPG

This is the left side view looking down 4 feet. The pumps are turned off for the camera, but otherwise I run a great deal of flow with two Ecotech MP40s, and one MP10 in the center. The green stylos have to be trimmed almost weekly now.

IMG_3765.JPG

The clown fish have laid eggs on the shell to the left. They have ignored the long tentacle plate coral and accepted the Rohodactis mushrooms as hosts for a year.

IMG_3716.JPG
What an awesome tank !!! The corals and colors really pop !!!

OP
OP
TravisParsley

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also... I dont test the Nitrates or Phosphates often, but when I do - they are low.
Nitrate is usually 0 or 2. I think it would be a lot higher without the macro algae.
Phosphates are 0.04. I'm under the school of thought that some low levels of phosphates are good.
I dont check these values these unless the corals tell me something is off by they way they look.
I do run GFO in a phosphate reactor. I replace this every 2-3 months or so. I must say that I noticed jumps in both of those parameters when I fed a lot more dry pellet food.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great look tank, great shot of the tank. I am at that two year point now, so it all gray from here then:rolleyes:

OP
OP
TravisParsley

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention the parameters:

My PH goes to 8.39 during the day and 8.28 at night. I think it would swing lower if I was not running the macro algae on a reverse light cycle, and a fresh air tube from outside into the skimmer.
My conductivity is 34.8 . I think thats a specific gravity of 1.025 ish.
The ORP is about 330- 380 depending on how long I go without water changes. I feel knowing the oxidier amount in the water does give me a general idea of how "clean" the water is or - at least how strong the tank could fight bacteria. I know this is a jury out theory....
My Alkalinity is 11.5, Calcium 450, Magnesium is 1500. I test ALK almost every other day. Calcium weekly, and Magnesium monthly.

Two last notes:
I run lunar lights that follow the lunar cycle. Recent research showed coral spawning can be triggered by lunar stimuli. This got me thinking about other stimuli that may be worth looking at. I have implemented speakers in the tank hood that play a constant sound loop of the roaring ocean. I am interested to see if the vibrations have any recordable effects. If I ever get around to using controls for a real experiment, I will share.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the vibrations mean much but am proud of you for thinking outside the box. Let us know what you find. Great tank!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back