This sucks. Need to make a decision.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 am...what the heck!!!! DID THIS to my Coral hogfish his name was blinky, cause he had yellow spots where his fins meet his body. So when he swam, an his front fins were down u say the yellow spot. Fines up spot goes away. kinda like a car blinker. AKA blinky. D*** it.
He is still alive trying to swim around. Should I qt him? Or just end it? Not sure what happened here. 220g Tank mates are 3 yellow tail damsels, a starry blend, 2 diamond gobies, one pork puffer 4-5", a small Niger trigger 3" small byecolor angel 3". To clowns an their nem. Noones mouth looks big enough to do this imo. All wave makers are blowing water an look correct no damage can't image him getting sucked into one of those. so odd because he's acting like nothing is wrong still swimming an avoiding my net.

9:15PM----I finally caught him. And got 1001 ideas on how to put him down inaddtion to alot of compassion for this sucky day.. I think I will choose a quick blow to the head unless my wife finds her clove oil. Ok the power heads are just Amazon specials. I have check them out an water flow seems to be working properly. So I to will rule this out. This is a fairly new tank setup. I have removed the suspect fish BLINKY an placed him in qt with some EM. He's SSTILLLL swimming around like nothing is wrong, but he is resting on a rock to. But still alive 13 hrs later. I will make the call in the morning, I have seen some pretty injured looking fish images online that have survived bites an attacks, im not sold on a total right off, I'm about 1% hopefull. I mean it's been 13 hrs and he still lives.

Anyway, I pondered the puffer an how it could have done this, an if I had found the other half of him, then I could believe accident. But the poor fellow is clearly chewed up. so if our puffer did this, then he chewed on him for awhile because this is not a clean bit by no means. The trigger is to small in my opinion to do this kind damage yet.

Screenshot_20210615-210921_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210615-210946_Gallery.jpg

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How that fish is alive is a miracle! Lol got chomped right behind al it’s internals.
I’d say the puffer as they are messy eaters and don’t take clean bites. They chew their food up with bits going everywhere. Must have been pretty hungry to go on the hunt.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s going to die eventually either bleeding or infection. A humanely way to off him is to put him in small container of water. Then put him in the freezer. The quick change in temperature will off him quickly . Good luck

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the poor thing out of its misery.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this thread got bumped from last week...

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yeah, sorry for the loss. I'd be curious to know if a culprit was determined.

ECMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 am...what the heck!!!! DID THIS to my Coral hogfish his name was blinky, cause he had yellow spots where his fins meet his body. So when he swam, an his front fins were down u say the yellow spot. Fines up spot goes away. kinda like a car blinker. AKA blinky. D*** it.
He is still alive trying to swim around. Should I qt him? Or just end it? Not sure what happened here. 220g Tank mates are 3 yellow tail damsels, a starry blend, 2 diamond gobies, one pork puffer 4-5", a small Niger trigger 3" small byecolor angel 3". To clowns an their nem. Noones mouth looks big enough to do this imo. All wave makers are blowing water an look correct no damage can't image him getting sucked into one of those. so odd because he's acting like nothing is wrong still swimming an avoiding my net.

9:15PM----I finally caught him. And got 1001 ideas on how to put him down inaddtion to alot of compassion for this sucky day.. I think I will choose a quick blow to the head unless my wife finds her clove oil. Ok the power heads are just Amazon specials. I have check them out an water flow seems to be working properly. So I to will rule this out. This is a fairly new tank setup. I have removed the suspect fish BLINKY an placed him in qt with some EM. He's SSTILLLL swimming around like nothing is wrong, but he is resting on a rock to. But still alive 13 hrs later. I will make the call in the morning, I have seen some pretty injured looking fish images online that have survived bites an attacks, im not sold on a total right off, I'm about 1% hopefull. I mean it's been 13 hrs and he still lives.

Anyway, I pondered the puffer an how it could have done this, an if I had found the other half of him, then I could believe accident. But the poor fellow is clearly chewed up. so if our puffer did this, then he chewed on him for awhile because this is not a clean bit by no means. The trigger is to small in my opinion to do this kind damage yet.

Screenshot_20210615-210921_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210615-210946_Gallery.jpg
That’s horrible dude!

Back