Those who have a 40b , help please!

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 40b a few weeks ago and it's still in its cycle, I been thinking of adding a DIY canopy to it. The only thing stopping me is I don't know if I will like the way it looks. That's where you guys come in if your 40b has a canopy can you please post a picture of the tank so I can see whT it looks like.

Also what are your dimensions? What do you use to keep the canopy on the tank or held up. Aka what's bracing the canopy to the tank?.

Thank you very much!

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking for a full blown wood canopy of just a mesh cover?

soccerjock1903

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This way what I put together. I have it sitting on the black trim on the tank.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415146451177.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415146451177.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 337

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my old 40B that is longer set up. There were dual 250w MH's and T5 lamps in the hood which is why I had it made so tall. Looks like it is squashing the tank in my opinion since then. I wish I had gone with something for like my new light rack instead of a canopy.

Tank1.jpg

IMG_1499.JPG

Last edited:

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres an old picture of when I first set the tank up. The floating canopy wasnt finished yet didn't hide any wires and such. but gives you an idea

rhino56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it really depends on what lighting you plan on using, some lights look better just hanging from the ceiling or with legs off the tank. I like an open top for air exchange but that depends on where you live and who you live with. I drilled a hole thru my wall in my bedroom for my 40 breeder to have the skimmer get air from outdoors. Something like that would be nice if your outdoor air is clean and a mosquito truck doesn't come by every night, your neighbors don't spray bug spray all the time, things like that. But if you have a g/f spraying hair spray and cleaning products in the room of the tank that canopy would be a life saver, if you pump air into it from somewhere that the air is good that is. I would think about function first, ascetics second.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back