Thoughts in Progress: My Big Tank

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 29 gallon biocube. To say I've fallen in love with salt water tanks would be an understatement. So I know I am going to upgrade, but am not totally sure to what yet. I'm certain there's all kinds of things that I have not thought about, and I know there are tons of things I have thought about, but still have no clue what to do. I decided to go ahead and start this thread to keep everything in one place. This will be a slow and a long project. There's a lot of other things I have thought about that I did not include here, but the post was already getting long.

What I HAVE decided is that the new tank will go in what is now my office (pictures below). I have decided to move my office upstairs. I have two guests bedrooms, one of which rarely gets used. My thoughts is to put a wall-bed in here for the few times I need a second room, but otherwise, this will be my main office space. My current office is right off the front door on one side (the big opening) and the kitchen on the other, so it tends to be a little loud, so moving my office away from all the excitement seems like a good move either way. (The giant desk is going to go away :) .)

IMG_3962.jpg IMG_3961.jpg

I think this is a good spot because the garage is on the other side of the wall. This will allow me to do some direct plumbing for ATO and water changes.

I think I want to tile the room. It is an 11 X 16 space. One issue is that since this room is right off the entry, it need to look really nice, additionally it needs to match the kitchen, which was finished with a remodel about a year ago now (Pictures below). The doorway is into my current office. I like the idea of the fish tank in this room too because it is out of the way, but still very visible.

Kamp 2.png

I know that I want to keep some fish that are not reef safe at some point (harlequin tusks, butterfly fish, trigger fish, etc.). I am not sure if this is the best tank to have has a FOWLR, or if I should plan that adventure for sometime in the future. There's noting to say that I can't add another tank on the opposite wall as a FOWLR at some point. I really love corals, so if I'm going bigger, I feel like it should def be a reef tank initially.

These are my inspiration pictures. I know I want to keep a desk space, because I want the room to stay useful and I'm sure I'll enjoy being able to work where I can watch the tank(s). I do like the look of an open top (with crating of something to keep the fish from jumping), so I'm not sure I would want top cabinets. I like the third picture with a hanging light over the tank in lieu of can lights.

27-Tropical-Home-Office-by-Jeannette-Architects.jpg 22-Tropical-Kitchen-by-Jeannette-Architects.jpg

cfc2031e3b3bef540f7e7edf383ece6b.jpg

I am also planning on tiling the room. That is what I am currently pricing out. I know I want a drain in the room, just in case there's an accident and water goes all over the room. (Hopefully it will never be needed, but I do have a 5 year old boy who is decidedly unaware of his surroundings and even less aware of things that may break around him). I'll update the post later with tile ideas.

Let me know what you think of the ideas!

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some combination of the first and third inspiration pictures would really look good.

Thanks! Now to just figure out the minutia to make it look that nice! :D

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the spirit of keeping your other build thread on topic I figured I'd bring the conversation over here lol so a standard 180 is in the ball park of 72" x 24" x 24" or 6' x 2' x 2'. There are absolutely standard sizes to work with, my suggestion would be to keep the 6 foot length atleast as this will keep your stocking options wide open for the most part.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the spirit of keeping your other build thread on topic I figured I'd bring the conversation over here lol so a standard 180 is in the ball park of 72" x 24" x 24" or 6' x 2' x 2'. There are absolutely standard sizes to work with, my suggestion would be to keep the 6 foot length atleast as this will keep your stocking options wide open for the most part.

That was a good idea!

I was thinking 6 feet would look crazy big, but I'm glad to know that's pretty standard for the gallons I'm hoping to be at. The wall it would go on is 16 feet long. So I could definitely make it a bit longer too, but I feel like 180 gallons would give me all the room to play that I would ever need for one tank. If it came to it, I think I'd rather use some space for a second tank whether than making a tank big enough to fit the space.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see this build! Your kitchen is incredible by the way!!! That is so nice !

Me too! I've been pricing out tiles and trying to figure out how to get the current guest bed out so that I can actually start the process. :D

And thank you! I love my kitchen. I cook a lot.... which I don't particularly enjoy, but the kitchen makes it worthwhile. Before the remodel, there was a wall going straight through the center of it and two closets. One got turned into the pantry and the other into the drink center. Really changed the look a lot.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cook a lot.... which I don't particularly enjoy

;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Atleast it's a nice kitchen to cook in, usually makes a big difference when it comes to cooking anyway:p

6 foot is really the minimum for most larger fish and obviously the size is greatly dictated by what you would like to keep in the tank. Remember when planning the placement of the tank you need to be fully aware of what's underneath it support wise. Is there a basement underneath where the tank might be going? or is it a slab on grade? 180 Gallons is pretty heavy and you will need to factor in the structure of the floor into your equations as well. Aside from a desk of some sort were you thinking of having any additional seating at all? a couch or a couple of chairs would do wonders and allow a comfortable place to view the tank(s) from.

Oh and btw a 6' tank will look MASSIVE compared to your biocube lol So try and keep that in mind, it will look huge to you but it's not a tank without limits when it comes to livestock. You could definitely go longer and maybe slimmer and keep the same depth. the slimmer tank will be a bit of a challenge aquascaping wise but it will allow for easier access to the back of the tank from the front for cleaning purposes.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Atleast it's a nice kitchen to cook in, usually makes a big difference when it comes to cooking anyway:p

6 foot is really the minimum for most larger fish and obviously the size is greatly dictated by what you would like to keep in the tank. Remember when planning the placement of the tank you need to be fully aware of what's underneath it support wise. Is there a basement underneath where the tank might be going? or is it a slab on grade? 180 Gallons is pretty heavy and you will need to factor in the structure of the floor into your equations as well. Aside from a desk of some sort were you thinking of having any additional seating at all? a couch or a couple of chairs would do wonders and allow a comfortable place to view the tank(s) from.

Oh and btw a 6' tank will look MASSIVE compared to your biocube lol So try and keep that in mind, it will look huge to you but it's not a tank without limits when it comes to livestock. You could definitely go longer and maybe slimmer and keep the same depth. the slimmer tank will be a bit of a challenge aquascaping wise but it will allow for easier access to the back of the tank from the front for cleaning purposes.

Yes, it will be quite the change. I have a crawl space. The wall that I plan on putting the tank on is against the garage and is concrete, so, n theory, it should be able to hold more weight. I will definitely have an engineer check it out and add any supports as necessary. I had to do this for my kitchen too. Those are always the hardest costs... they're expensive and won't be seen, but your house may fall in without it.

The slimmer option is an idea. I may "build" a tank out of cardboard to get an idea of what I'm talking about and what size I'm hoping to get. My thought is that if I'm going to do all of this extra stuff to prep the room for a tank, I want to make sure I don't have regrets about the actual tank.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it will be quite the change. I have a crawl space. The wall that I plan on putting the tank on is against the garage and is concrete, so, n theory, it should be able to hold more weight. I will definitely have an engineer check it out and add any supports as necessary. I had to do this for my kitchen too. Those are always the hardest costs... they're expensive and won't be seen, but your house may fall in without it.

The slimmer option is an idea. I may "build" a tank out of cardboard to get an idea of what I'm talking about and what size I'm hoping to get. My thought is that if I'm going to do all of this extra stuff to prep the room for a tank, I want to make sure I don't have regrets about the actual tank.

For me they are usually the easiest costs. Working with contractors for so long I've seen the downsides to not doing the prep work properly. And when your talking about 200+ gallons of saltwater, it's definitely worth the few hundred to be reassured that you won't have any catastrophes. :)

The cardboard tank is an excellent idea, or if your a little handy, use 2x2 lumber and build a tank frame so to speak. Much more ridged at those sizes and only a few dollars in wood. I'm sure at the sizes your looking at you won't have many regrets atall but it never hurts to know for sure. Plus it can help you plan out the rest of the room, especially when you actually build the mock up and go.... "Wow this thing is huge." Lol It might make you rethink placement. I mocked up my new tank with foam board and was able to tune it to the exact height I wanted and play around with different sizes which was really helpful in the space it had to go into.

robocop1906

Erick McLemore
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a little love for coral now trust me you'll have a full-blown love affair with them over time. I had a fish only tank for years and just loved to watch them swim. Now I find myself staring at corals that don't move at all lol! When I've visited others who have tanks, after leaving I never remember seeing not one fish even though I know they existed because they kept swimming in front of my view of the corals! My point is, you'll love fishless, corals cost more, so pick reef safe fish or be prepared to possibly lose money when one eats your expensive coral, and be stressed out because you'll have to tear your tank apart to catch him.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me they are usually the easiest costs. Working with contractors for so long I've seen the downsides to not doing the prep work properly. And when your talking about 200+ gallons of saltwater, it's definitely worth the few hundred to be reassured that you won't have any catastrophes. :)

The cardboard tank is an excellent idea, or if your a little handy, use 2x2 lumber and build a tank frame so to speak. Much more ridged at those sizes and only a few dollars in wood. I'm sure at the sizes your looking at you won't have many regrets atall but it never hurts to know for sure. Plus it can help you plan out the rest of the room, especially when you actually build the mock up and go.... "Wow this thing is huge." Lol It might make you rethink placement. I mocked up my new tank with foam board and was able to tune it to the exact height I wanted and play around with different sizes which was really helpful in the space it had to go into.

Great idea. I'm not super handy, but I can follow instructions incredibly well....

Same for my cooking, I'm not a good cook on my own, but give me a recipe, and I can make something amazing!

I'm sure I can find some youtube videos where they put together something out of 2x2 wood.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great project and a nice space to work with. I like the idea of putting something up to visualize the tank size. I will say, if there is any thought of I might go bigger one day, go ahead and do it now. From the way the rest of the house looks, whatever you come up with will look fantastic.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a little love for coral now trust me you'll have a full-blown love affair with them over time. I had a fish only tank for years and just loved to watch them swim. Now I find myself staring at corals that don't move at all lol! When I've visited others who have tanks, after leaving I never remember seeing not one fish even though I know they existed because they kept swimming in front of my view of the corals! My point is, you'll love fishless, corals cost more, so pick reef safe fish or be prepared to possibly lose money when one eats your expensive coral, and be stressed out because you'll have to tear your tank apart to catch him.

Lol... I had a peppermint shrimp who was eating some of my corals... I seriously considered frying him up and serving him on a platter :)

I know I want to do two big tanks. One with non reef-safe fish and another that's a reef. I want to do a peninsula tank between my kitchen and dining room and one in my now office. I just decided that I wanted to do the office first, because it's the bigger project. I half think that the peninsula will be better for a reef. Although, that doesn't mean I can't set the office one up as a reef tank and move the corals over when I set up the peninsula tank.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the deal with that kitchen? I've seen better kitchens in men's prisons! Lol (totally joking)

Your updated kitchen looks very nice and I like the non-traditional shape of your island. Additionally, the drink center was a good idea but I'm wondering why I only see what looks to San Pellegrino, Coca-Cola, Sprite and water. Where are the adult beverages? ;)

+1 on going bigger on tank size if you think you might go bigger sometime down the road.

Following along...

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea. I'm not super handy, but I can follow instructions incredibly well....

Same for my cooking, I'm not a good cook on my own, but give me a recipe, and I can make something amazing!

I'm sure I can find some youtube videos where they put together something out of 2x2 wood.

Plenty of YouTube videos about making 2x2 1frames to protect gardens, just gotta skip the chicken wire part lol What kind of access do you have to tools? You can also use foam insulation sheets but they are a fair bit pricier.

I feel like the message might have been lost earlier but what are all the goals for this room? 1-2 tanks, a small desk and is that all?

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the deal with that kitchen? I've seen better kitchens in men's prisons! Lol (totally joking)

Your updated kitchen looks very nice and I like the non-traditional shape of your island. Additionally, the drink center was a good idea but I'm wondering why I only see what looks to San Pellegrino, Coca-Cola, Sprite and water. Where are the adult beverages? ;)

+1 on going bigger on tank size if you think you might go bigger sometime down the road.

Following along...

Hahahaha. Thank you. I love it. It turned out nicely. I'm not really a big drinker. I talk a big game, but then rarely actually partake. My son has totally claimed that fridge as his own though. Literally he says "can I get a drink from my fridge?" IT's nice, cause he's not tall enough to et stuff from the actual fridge, so it allows him to be a little more independent.

So realistically, what is the biggest size someone might would consider for a home tank. I doubt I'll ever want to keep sharks. (While they are amazing, I think I'd prefer more variety than what would be compatible with them.) I'm trying to think of bigger fish that I'd imagine I might have some desire to keep one day. I love eels. A puffer might be nice. A lionfish would be cool, but not something I'd be heart broken if I won't be able to keep. I was trying to find a chart that showed fish species and tank size suggestions, but this is all I am coming up with.

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 12.26.03 PM.png

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha. Thank you. I love it. It turned out nicely. I'm not really a big drinker. I talk a big game, but then rarely actually partake. My son has totally claimed that fridge as his own though. Literally he says "can I get a drink from my fridge?" IT's nice, cause he's not tall enough to et stuff from the actual fridge, so it allows him to be a little more independent.

So realistically, what is the biggest size someone might would consider for a home tank. I doubt I'll ever want to keep sharks. (While they are amazing, I think I'd prefer more variety than what would be compatible with them.) I'm trying to think of bigger fish that I'd imagine I might have some desire to keep one day. I love eels. A puffer might be nice. A lionfish would be cool, but not something I'd be heart broken if I won't be able to keep. I was trying to find a chart that showed fish species and tank size suggestions, but this is all I am coming up with.

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 12.26.03 PM.png

Liveaquaria.com has most of the fish you could ever want and if you search through there saltwater fish and click on a particular fish it will tell you a general guide as to what size tank the minimum is for them. Now keep in mind this is just a guide and once you have a list it's always helpful to ask on the forum here for more sound advice. They also have a compatibility chart you can look at which is helpful as well.

If you're looking for a fish only tank I would venture into the 240+ Gallon range. Most eels and other predators need large tanks and a solid filtration system because they are messy eaters. Oh and they get huge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of YouTube videos about making 2x2 1frames to protect gardens, just gotta skip the chicken wire part lol What kind of access do you have to tools? You can also use foam insulation sheets but they are a fair bit pricier.

I feel like the message might have been lost earlier but what are all the goals for this room? 1-2 tanks, a small desk and is that all?

I have a circular saw and stuff. I wanted bench seating in the breakfast nook, and everyone was quoting me thousands of doallars, so I went to restore and bought cabinets, but a top, legs and crown molding on them. I think the project in total was just over $100 and they turned out amazingly.

And yes, small corner desk, maybe a bench seat next to the window. And a big tank. I'd have space for another one that is decently sized on the wall opposite of where I'd like the big tank to go, and perhaps one that is around 55 gallons or so in the other corner... Basically a tank triangle. I suspect I'd prefer a nice chair in that corner than a third tank though.

The room gets morning light until around 10:30, but there's a big japanese maple in front of the window, so even that light is filtered.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see what you come up with! Regarding FOWLR vs reef, obviously this is personal preference based on what you wish to keep. However, know that it's never too late to go from one to the other (though would probably require getting rid of livestock-or adding another tank! hehe)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back