Thoughts on Keeping a Clownfish Harem?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept clowns singly and in pairs, but now I'm interested in seeing if I can keep keep a harem of about 15 or 20 ocellaris clowns of various subtypes. The tank is 100g that's been running for 6 months, with about 1o healthy BTAs, 2 LTAs, 1 haddoni carpet, 1 large Elegance, 1 large Goniopora, a couple of long tentacle plate corals, and various other nems and corals less attractive to clowns. Current fish residents are 1 Purple Tang, 1 Coral Beauty, 2 well-behaved Azure Damsels, and a green Clown Goby.

I'm thinking of working with a clown supplier that my LFS likes (high quality, low disease incidence), and having them shipped to the store where I will pick them up immediately on arrival (no mixing with store water or livestock.) 1 larger specimen, the rest all smaller and presumably males.

I have questions though.

First and foremost, will it work? Is it possible to establish a harem, or am I just likely to wind up with 1 pair and a dozen dead fish? If it's possible, any tips?

Then, can this many clowns go through QT together without murdering each other? How large of a QT system would be advisable?

Also, I was thinking of running a UV sterilizer on the DT for a couple of weeks before and after adding the clowns, to hopefully minimize bacterial and protozoan concentrations that these tank-raised fish with presumably rather weak immune systems will encounter. Worthwhile or not?

Finally, will the other fish already in the system be a problem?

Thanks!

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only harems I'm aware of in captivity that have worked have all been with clowns from the same clutch. Not saying it couldn't work, but I don't think the odds are in your favor here.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept clowns singly and in pairs, but now I'm interested in seeing if I can keep keep a harem of about 15 or 20 ocellaris clowns of various subtypes. The tank is 100g that's been running for 6 months, with about 1o healthy BTAs, 2 LTAs, 1 haddoni carpet, 1 large Elegance, 1 large Goniopora, a couple of long tentacle plate corals, and various other nems and corals less attractive to clowns. Current fish residents are 1 Purple Tang, 1 Coral Beauty, 2 well-behaved Azure Damsels, and a green Clown Goby.

I'm thinking of working with a clown supplier that my LFS likes (high quality, low disease incidence), and having them shipped to the store where I will pick them up immediately on arrival (no mixing with store water or livestock.) 1 larger specimen, the rest all smaller and presumably males.

I have questions though.

First and foremost, will it work? Is it possible to establish a harem, or am I just likely to wind up with 1 pair and a dozen dead fish? If it's possible, any tips?

Then, can this many clowns go through QT together without murdering each other? How large of a QT system would be advisable?

Also, I was thinking of running a UV sterilizer on the DT for a couple of weeks before and after adding the clowns, to hopefully minimize bacterial and protozoan concentrations that these tank-raised fish with presumably rather weak immune systems will encounter. Worthwhile or not?

Finally, will the other fish already in the system be a problem?

Thanks!
BRS has done it and I believe they credit their success to stocking them all very small, from the same clutch and heavy feeding

OP
OP
rkpetersen

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has done it and I believe they credit their success to stocking them all very small, from the same clutch and heavy feeding
Thanks; I'll give their video a watch. I can do them all but one very small, and also heavy feeding would be no problem, but I was hoping to have different color and pattern morphs. Sounds like that could be difficult.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Amoo's statement is my understanding as well. They are either from the same clutch or (at the very least) all added as juveniles at the same time.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
rkpetersen

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a thread with a bunch of people who are currently running harem tanks:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clownfish-circus-harem-club.331867/

I was doing so in a tiny tank, but failed. I'm now down to a pair in the magnifica anemone and one solo by himself in the corner. I'll probably put the solo in a different tank.

Ultimately the rules seem to be that there will be one dominant female and male per territory. They will allow others in that territory as long as its big enough. To get to the dominant female/male combo, there will be A LOT of fighting, especially at the smallest of sizes.

Sounds like you have enough anemones, but it's still a risk.

OP
OP
rkpetersen

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a thread with a bunch of people who are currently running harem tanks:

Thanks for that thread, especially the several updates you posted on your experience. Clearly a very hit or miss proposition. It seems that the chance of success might be higher with a larger number of same-size juveniles introduced at the same time, and also, the more established anemones in the tank, the better. The point about quickly rehoming fish that aren't working out is also a good one; before I place an order, I need to get an idea of which local friends could accept a new fish or two on short notice.

TOMEGLOCK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 80 gallon with a 12 clownfish harem going. Started out adding them 4 at a time over 4 weeks, 4 black saddle backs, 4 platinum, 4 black ice and 4 gladitors. Had 16 but 4 of the platinums ended up getting eaten by Black saddleback who got huge after 4 months. She picked them off one at a time.

Atienne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in BRS a few weeks ago and noticed that all of the clowns were gone. I asked and was told that they had aggression issues and distributed them around the office tanks. They were growing a new clutch of babies to go back in. So even if successful, clowns can change.

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 55 clownfish harem in a 180g... with 48 bta's. All were bought from a local breeder each sub picaso were from the same clutch.. all went in at the same time all were juvi's. Coming up on a year now since it was started.

Dysprosium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a new 60 gallon cube with 14 ocellaris clowns from a local breeder, all juveniles, all from the same clutch (well, presumably, their were like 700 small clownfish in the tank at the breeder!) The breeder told me that it's best not to mix colors of clownfish because "clownfish are racists" and will go after other clowns that look a bit different. I'm sure experiences can vary.

So far mine are doing fine, but I don't expect any issues for a year or so until they really mature. I'm building up the number of anemones while they are young (currently have 4, but they are pretty expensive, and nice-sized BTAs are hard to come by.)

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely possible. Mark Levenson from Melev's Reef has a harem of Skunk Clownfish in his big reef tank. I think there might be like 15 or 20 of them? I'm not sure. You could definitely find out by watching his videos or looking on his website, though. But anyways, that brings up another point: success with harems likely varies depending on species as well. Like, I'm sure you'd have immense difficulty establishing a harem of Tomato Clownfish, and it seems to me that you'll have a far better chance of success with the least aggressive of the clownfish species.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 6 wild caught true percs in a 90, 20 years ago, then there were two. Never tried it again. But maybe I will try again when I get a 150.

Halostemanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 20 mixed clownfish in a Reefer 350. All from the same breeder and a mix of Picasso, frostbite & premium snowflake. One year in and things are going well. I feed twice a day and have heavy nutrient export. I have a few very small bubble tips that they used to host as babies but now they do not bother.

I actually agree that clownfish are racist! The premium snowflakes always go for the Picasso’s.

They are currently fighting to establish the hierarchy with only one casualty that lives in the sump for now. I can’t help feeling that it’s a bit of a ticking time bomb but up until I have more fish in the sump than the DT I’m going to enjoy it.

My tips... 1) one breeder. 2) same clutch or extremely small clownfish. Which is what I did. All mine were from the same grow out tank. 3) feed good meals 4) heavy nutrient export and 5) have a plan B for victims of aggression. Clownfish are vicious and relentless attackers.

kennydoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i managed to mix my HUGE clarkii clown breeding pair with my tomato and black ice clowns with no problems whatsoever. only had one LTA and that was claimed by the clarkii’s... it’s definitely possible for all clowns to get along but it’ll take patience. my clarkii female was a bully at first but then she chilled and they all got along, so, just have patience.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 111 43.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 122 47.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.1%
Back