Thoughts on my aquascape?

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rescaping my 20g peninsula but it's really just viewed from two sides so don't worry about the back lol.

My fish: 2 clowns, yellow watchman goby/pistol, midas blenny

Corals: 2 hammers, 2 torches, 3 acans, favia, plenty of zoas, trumpet coral, trachy, digi montipora, chalice, cyphastrea

Is this a good amount of hiding places for the goby and midas blenny? (the clowns just stay in the front with my trachy)
Also is this a good amount of space for corals? I'm not big into sps so the high spot will just be for my digi and a future birdnest.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rescaping my 20g peninsula but it's really just viewed from two sides so don't worry about the back lol.

Corals: 2 hammers, 2 torches, 3 acans, favia, plenty of zoas, trumpet coral, trachy, digi montipora, chalice, cyphastrea

Is this a good amount of hiding places for the goby and midas blenny? (the clowns just stay in the front with my trachy)
Also is this a good amount of space for corals? I'm not big into sps so the high spot will just be for my digi and a future birdnest.

It all looks great except for the small pieces of rock sitting in the middle of nowhere .
Are you planning on a sand bottom or bare ?

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all looks great except for the small pieces of rock sitting in the middle of nowhere .
Are you planning on a sand bottom or bare ?
There will be sand. That rock island is either going to have my chalice, cyphastrea, or more zoas on it if I run out of room on my other zoa rock! Oh if you are talking about the super tiny pieces, that's just me being messy and didn't wipe it off the cardboard haha. Probably should have before taking the video lol

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I may put my meteor shower cyphastrea on the barnacle to grow. I feel like that would look crazy cool lol

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm sorry, looks like a bunch of rocks sitting on top of each other. They are all flat and stacked up pretty neatly.

Why all lined up in a row? Can they be staggered? Can you flip some up on end or lean them on another rock? Can you break some apart and re-glue together? This will create more hiding spaces and look more natural. Like rocks 'fell' down not 'placed' down.
Another thing to keep in mind, leave room on sides of tank for scraping coraline algae.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, looks like a bunch of rocks sitting on top of each other. They are all flat and stacked up pretty neatly.

Why all lined up in a row? Can they be staggered? Can you flip some up on end or lean them on another rock? Can you break some apart and re-glue together? This will create more hiding spaces and look more natural. Like rocks 'fell' down not 'placed' down.
Another thing to keep in mind, leave room on sides of tank for scraping coraline algae.

Not sure what you mean by lined up in a row. I put a top down view and it’s not in a line to me. The idea is the left side is a cove and the right side is pretty much steps of half a pyramid. I don’t mind the stacked rock look because my corals will grow over it in time and it has way more stability than my rocks now haha. I’ll try breaking pieces apart for more hiding spots! Thanks for the ideas :)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by lined up in a row. I put a top down view and it’s not in a line to me. The idea is the left side is a cove and the right side is pretty much steps of half a pyramid. I don’t mind the stacked rock look because my corals will grow over it in time and it has way more stability than my rocks now haha. I’ll try breaking pieces apart for more hiding spots! Thanks for the ideas :)
Back wall, I see they are not perfect in line.
What if you move one or two stacks forward? Maybe create a 'W' across the back.

Screenshot_20230501_130107_Chrome.jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be sand. That rock island is either going to have my chalice, cyphastrea, or more zoas on it if I run out of room on my other zoa rock! Oh if you are talking about the super tiny pieces, that's just me being messy and didn't wipe it off the cardboard haha. Probably should have before taking the video lol
This one .

Attachments

• 59494C2D-E8FE-40CC-9875-1823B7C9FAFB.jpeg
    59494C2D-E8FE-40CC-9875-1823B7C9FAFB.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 23

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back wall, I see they are not perfect in line.
What if you move one or two stacks forward? Maybe create a 'W' across the back.

Screenshot_20230501_130107_Chrome.jpg
Every tank I’ve done has always had similar curve and style . I wish I could have found more branches instead of large chunky rocks .
Mine are always piled up rocks with caves and tunnels through them . And I always make the middle curve to the front of the tank . With a larger cave in the middle

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make it your own... That's the fun of it. Think of 3 things... 1. Flow, 2. Hiding Spaces, 3. Height.

asome_one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think because you want the rock on solid surfaces where it is less likely to shift. If you place the sand first then over time sand sifters or just flow could alter the rock position. This could lead to issues if you had a bunch of rocks stacked up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back