Thoughts on my DKH

Globalfisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Waterbox 20 running and it’s been up about 4 months. I recently purchased a marine x 90.3. In addition, I bought a BRS 4 stage ro/di. My mixing station is all setup. Anyway, I discussed my current levels with the LFS where my salinity was 1.026, DKH 8.6 Cal 360 and MG 1200. He mentioned that most of my levels were low and he sold me the Fritz red box. After mixing the saltwater overnight with 0 TDS, my DKH in the mixing barrel is anywhere from 13.4 to 14 (using salifert test) I am very skeptical to switch over to this new water. Is this something I can transition to over many small water changes or is there even a need to have the DKH this high? I don’t know if this could be true, but potentially maybe the water at the LFS that I have been using for months is always sitting for some time (regular IO) and then I get a few too many buckets. By the time I do a water change maybe these levels have dropped and that’s why I’m seeing low numbers? If I were to use regular IO or say even blue box rpm maybe it would mix to a similar DKH with higher cal and mag levels? I’m not sure. Just trying to figure out what to do in my transition to the bigger tank.

Thanks in advance for your time.

ZoixDark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red box is supposed to be 10-12 (not sure why such a range even from them but regardless) switching over with 10% changes would be fine. Running 12dkh is toeing the line.

I guess the question is what are you trying to keep for coral?

OP
OP
G

Globalfisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am keeping LPS and softies right now. With the bigger tank and eventually down the road maybe I’ll add a few SPS, but not entirely sure. Mostly LPS and softies though. I tested about three times and came within that range each time. If user error, I’m not sure where I am making the mistake with testing. I re-calibrated my refractometer as well and tested my salinity once again to make sure it was correct.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Just chiming in with my thought. I always ask first, is there an issue of concern with the current salt. If things are working great I would try and just tweak what works. If not, than a change may be warranted.

I don’t think your levels are low per se, they are out of balance. You CA is low. the AlK is ok, can be higher also. With the alk you have a balanced calcium should be around 420. I would work on getting the alk and Ca balanced first before chasing the numbers. Otherwise they may end up more out of balance.

Just some thoughts. What ever you do, keep testing like you are doing and go slow. Watch how the tank reacts as you go. :)

OP
OP
G

Globalfisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Just chiming in with my thought. I always ask first, is there an issue of concern with the current salt. If things are working great I would try and just tweak what works. If not, than a change may be warranted.

I don’t think your levels are low per se, they are out of balance. You CA is low. the AlK is ok, can be higher also. With the alk you have a balanced calcium should be around 420. I would work on getting the alk and Ca balanced first before chasing the numbers. Otherwise they may end up more out of balance.

Just some thoughts. What ever you do, keep testing like you are doing and go slow. Watch how the tank reacts as you go. :)
I don’t think there is any issues of concern for tank health. I was a little suspicious of a couple of the levels, but no real concern. Everything seems to be doing great; gonni, euphillias, zoas, chalice...etc. I have been doing business with the same LFS for some years and I just went with his advice to go fritz red box. Before then I was just using their pre-mixed salt which was regular IO. This is my first ever batch of salt.

Can these levels get real out of balance on their own, or do you think it’s more of a user error with the tests?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there is any issues of concern for tank health. I was a little suspicious of a couple of the levels, but no real concern. Everything seems to be doing great; gonni, euphillias, zoas, chalice...etc. I have been doing business with the same LFS for some years and I just went with his advice to go fritz red box. Before then I was just using their pre-mixed salt which was regular IO. This is my first ever batch of salt.

Can these levels get real out of balance on their own, or do you think it’s more of a user error with the tests?

I would bring a sample to the store and have them test it. Levels can be kept stable thru water changes or dosing of some sort. Depending on what is in your tank, certain elements can be used up quick.

If everything is doing great I would be careful of large ALK swings. Not sure if you have hammers or frogs but I found they hated ALK swings in my tank more than anything else.

OP
OP
G

Globalfisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bring a sample to the store and have them test it. Levels can be kept stable thru water changes or dosing of some sort. Depending on what is in your tank, certain elements can be used up quick.

If everything is doing great I would be careful of large ALK swings. Not sure if you have hammers or frogs but I found they hated ALK swings in my tank more than anything else.
I understand consumption by corals, just wasn’t sure if at mixing (or in storage) can levels be out of balance. So it’s most likely coral consumption absorbing the elements. I have hammers and torches right now for euphillias. I’m doing about 5 gallons per week on my 20 cube. I’ll test again and take it to the store tomorrow to see what they come up with. The alk swing was my biggest concern. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euyphillia dont consume much alk and calcium unless you have a lot of them and they are growing fast. I would retest calcium in your tank vs freshly mixed water for changing and see what the difference is.

Friend of mine runs a calcium reactor, targets calcium at 350 to keep his pH up ( less CO2 used) and has a blue stag acro and a few others he has to trim to keep it below the waterline.

ZoixDark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand consumption by corals, just wasn’t sure if at mixing (or in storage) can levels be out of balance. So it’s most likely coral consumption absorbing the elements. I have hammers and torches right now for euphillias. I’m doing about 5 gallons per week on my 20 cube. I’ll test again and take it to the store tomorrow to see what they come up with. The alk swing was my biggest concern. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Some mixes can't be stored since they will precipitate out if stored.

OP
OP
G

Globalfisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euyphillia dont consume much alk and calcium unless you have a lot of them and they are growing fast. I would retest calcium in your tank vs freshly mixed water for changing and see what the difference is.

Friend of mine runs a calcium reactor, targets calcium at 350 to keep his pH up ( less CO2 used) and has a blue stag acro and a few others he has to trim to keep it below the waterline.
I’ll see if I have a bucket still from the LFS. Otherwise I don’t have a way of testing freshly mixed as they sold me fritz red box. I have their IO in my tank now and freshly mixed fritz red box in my mixing bin.

OP
OP
G

Globalfisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some mixes can't be stored since they will precipitate out if stored.
I have a feeling this is part of my issue using their mixed saltwater. Anyhow, I’ll test again tomorrow and have them test it as well to see what we come up with. Thanks everyone.

syilk1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a very good video on salt mixes and storing.. Most can store for weeks with little problem.. Might be worth a watch

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMO, many folks seem obsessed with having the tank match the new salt water. That is not needed, as long as you do not do water changes on the large side.

If the tank is at 8.6 dKH and the new salt water is 12 dKH, as 10% change only boosts alk by 0.34 dKH, which is fine, IMO.

lazy josh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, many folks seem obsessed with having the tank match the new salt water. That is not needed, as long as you do not do water changes on the large side.

If the tank is at 8.6 dKH and the new salt water is 12 dKH, as 10% change only boosts alk by 0.34 dKH, which is fine, IMO.
Glad you cleared this part up for me i was wondering about the higher dkh salt mixes

i currently have red sea salt the higher dkh one and doing weekly changes of only 2 gallons it only changes my dkh by .2 (using hanna alk checker)

my alk is staying at 7.5-8dkh

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back