Thoughts on the "climate-change Pokemon"?

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, sorry if this has been posted already; I didn't see a thread yet.

For anyone uninitiated, the latest installment of the Pokemon series, Sword/Shield, was released last week. The new region, Galar, includes some new variants of old Pokemon, including a variant of Corsola. Originally a water/rock type that's meant to convey the fun and concepts of coral reefs, the new variant is a bleached out ghost type:

1574286422016.png 1574286426183.png

The entry in the Dex in Shield for the variant reads - "Sudden climate change wiped out this ancient kind of Corsola. This Pokémon absorbs others' life-force through its branches. ".

I personally find it fascinating to see, but at the same time not something that anyone's likely to pay much attention to. Numerous news outlets have commented on the variant, but I can't imagine that it'll have any REAL effect at all.

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its definitely not a bad thing. It could help educate some on the damage of climate change but as you said not many will notice

It would be nice if it took a foothold, so to speak. Mostly, I was surprised that a company like Nintendo was willing to say difinitively that a) climate change is real, and b) it's killing the oceans. With so many deniers, I'd think that they'd try to stay a bit more neutral.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice if it took a foothold, so to speak. Mostly, I was surprised that a company like Nintendo was willing to say difinitively that a) climate change is real, and b) it's killing the oceans. With so many deniers, I'd think that they'd try to stay a bit more neutral.
Hopefully it does and the more large companies that acknowledge it the more likely people are to open their eyes

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it does and the more large companies that acknowledge it the more likely people are to open their eyes
It's a bit weird, though - it's not exactly Nintendo saying "Hey! this is an issue, let's fix it!!!", but rather a very basic acknowledgement that feels almost like a minor Easter Egg. Regardless, I 100% agree that it'd be awesome if big companies would do ANYTHING like this. This particular thing is getting some news buzz, at least, so it's better than nothing.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a nice touch.

I think it would be a great education vehicle and engagement tool. I can already imagine suggesting my kids to do the science project / poster about what happen to Corsola, and what we can help to help him be happy again.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bit weird, though - it's not exactly Nintendo saying "Hey! this is an issue, let's fix it!!!", but rather a very basic acknowledgement that feels almost like a minor Easter Egg. Regardless, I 100% agree that it'd be awesome if big companies would do ANYTHING like this. This particular thing is getting some news buzz, at least, so it's better than nothing.
small steps :)

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a nice touch.

I think it would be a great education vehicle and engagement tool. I can already imagine suggesting my kids to do the science project / poster about what happen to Corsola, and what we can help to help him be happy again.

I can certainly see it as an educational vehicle, though it'd be relatively niche. Anything is something, at least. A big part of the issue is that there will always be change deniers, so always pushback, even in a game primarily targeted at kids.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back