Thoughts on visually determining gender of a Pink Tail Trigger?

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well reading that they are not sexually dimorphic, but I wanted to know from fellow keepers if they were able to determine sex through features and characteristics. Are they ventable? This is definitely coming from my FW experience, however, I have never taken the time to vent any non-cichlid fish. Definitely, not worth the stress most likely. Is sex only determinable by the difference in adult size or are there facial and structure differences in sexes...etc? Just curious...My guess would be female d/t the non-interest by my male Blue Throat. I am assuming he did not feel threatened and his territorial senses were not triggered (no pun intended). He is a sweetheart anyway, so most likely not a good measure. Here is a vid

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be completely wrong, but I believe male pink tails have a much more vibrant pink to their tails, and females are more of a white/muted pink.

I also find most triggers get along “swimmingly” until they hit sexual maturity, which varies by species on how big they are when that happens.

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be completely wrong, but I believe male pink tails have a much moNire vibrant pink to their tails, and females are more of a white/muted pink.

I also find most triggers get along “swimmingly” until they hit sexual maturity, which varies by species on how big they are when that happens.
Thanks for the response. Yeah i had a Niger Trigger before that was a different fish at 10+ inches than it was at 4 inches. Still loved it though...like a puppy. Nigers are much easier to sex though with the trailers on the fins...and Xan triggers are dimorphic so their easy.

NoFeedback

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but how large does a Pink Tail Trigger grow? I love trigger fish!

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but how large does a Pink Tail Trigger grow? I love trigger fish!
They get really chunky and can get over a foot in the home aquarium...fairly fast. They are medium sized Triggers in the wild 14-15inches. They are more mellow than most...but still a Trigger. My 180g is the bare minimum...I am definitely sure it will outgrow it approaching adult size, but I have a little while.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back