Thoughts on Xenia???

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Zenia is a very easy and hardy coral to keep. It grows fast and has an amazing pulse look to it. I have a spot in my tank that has low flow and low light and it might be a good spot for it. It is the bottom right of the tank. Is it a good idea to get Xenia? It can grow like a weed but you could just cut it back.

IMG_1241.jpeg

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like it get it. I like them. They add a ton of movement to the tank. They are not aggressive and won't hurt other corals. Yes, they can spread like crazy, but you need conditions for that. I for the longest couldn't keep Xenias because my tank was too clean.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gets a bad rap. Gotta just be smart about it. Put it on a solo rock away from other rocks and it will stay confined to just that rock. I have a golf ball sized bunch of them in a solo rock. Been that way for several years. Nowhere else in the tank.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like it get it. I like them. They add a ton of movement to the tank. They are not aggressive and won't hurt other corals. Yes, they can spread like crazy, but you need conditions for that. I for the longest couldn't keep Xenias because my tank was too clean.
How do I cut them back? Will the split and appear in different areas of my tank?

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gets a bad rap. Gotta just be smart about it. Put it on a solo rock away from other rocks and it will stay confined to just that rock. I have a golf ball sized bunch of them in a solo rock. Been that way for several years. Nowhere else in the tank.
I will try and setup a solo rock and have the on that. Thanks for the advice

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Zenia is a very easy and hardy coral to keep. It grows fast and has an amazing pulse look to it. I have a spot in my tank that has low flow and low light and it might be a good spot for it. It is the bottom right of the tank. Is it a good idea to get Xenia? It can grow like a weed but you could just cut it back.

IMG_1241.jpeg
You cannot always just cut it back. It detaches and gets caught up in stuff

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no no. Zenia, GSP, shrooms, and Kenya tree. Just save yourself the pain and agony. Everyone has an opinion. But I am right
Are you saying not to get any of those corals?

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some red Xenia which doesn’t grow as fast or as a mat. I like it but also agree with Hugstr with regard to the Kenya. That’s a different type of plague lol

IMG_1369.jpeg

Markcw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've had zenia in my tank for 12 months and can honestly say they have not grown at all they are the red type and placed in there perfect location. No trouble at all a tual I find them very boring now as everything else has grown beautiful but the Xenia nothing, I've learned they like dirty water as in high nitrates and food.

Markcw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've had zenia in my tank for 12 months and can honestly say they have not grown at all they are the red type and placed in there perfect location on there own rock in front. View. No trouble at all actually I find them very boring now as everything else has grown beautiful but the Xenia nothing, I've learned they like dirty water as in high nitrates and food.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine grows fast and it’s on a rock. I need to trim it every month or so; I use hemostats to pull. It eventually got to another rock and now I need to get rid of that but it’s hard. They’re small polyps and retract.

So yes, it’s work. And oh, not all pulsing xenias pulse. Mine doesn’t. Never has.

That’s after 2 years, starting from 3 small frags.

1693857612022.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back