Pulsing Xenia removal

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a growing plaque of pulsing Xenia growing all over the rock. Any ideas on getting rid of it, i.e. fish that may eat it and not SPS...other methods?

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it in my last tank and once it’s on a rock it’s impossible to get off. Leaving just a sliver of flesh on the rock will always grow back. I even tried a wire brush and it always came back.

The only thing I know of is to remove the rock it’s attached to and soak it bleach

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, manual removal was the best option. Yes it’s a pain, but unfortunately there’s really no chemicals or fish/invert you could use that wouldn’t effect another coral. The good thing about Xenia is that, in my experience, they aren’t hard to rip off of rocks, at least compared to other types of soft corals. Just pull the rock out, use tweezers, and peel at the base until it comes off. Continue until no Xenia remains. In the following weeks, look for any small Xenia popping up and pull it out of the tank. Eventually, you’ll have none left. Another alternative is to put in a coral that will outcompete Xenia for growth, but then you may have a similar invasive problem with that coral.

Just a side note: if the Xenia is still isolated to a single rock with no other corals, you could either try isolating that rock (if you still wanted to keep the Xenia), or put it into a tub of freshwater or bleach for a long enough time that the Xenia all melts away.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramid butterfly will eat it while’s leaving most other things alone.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat spike will cause Xenia to melt quickly. This may stress the rest of the animals. My Convict tang will mow down my Xenia.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank I had to take the rock out, scrape it off the rock with dental picks and keep it out of the water for a day or two.

I tried pulling it off the rocks in the tank with hemostats but it always came back.

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nutrients skyrocketed once when I pulled it all out at once. They do a lot if the tank is loaded with them. I took all the rock out. Horrible scourge they are.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a growing plaque of pulsing Xenia growing all over the rock. Any ideas on getting rid of it, i.e. fish that may eat it and not SPS...other methods?
I simply peel it back at the base and break off the rock

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is isolated on a single rock but I don't want it taking over that entire rock. My thought was to put a stinging coral on part of the rock. lfs suggested goniopora! So far I've been afraid to test if the goni can do it and I've been removing the xenia that encroaches on it with a hemostat. Does anyone know if gonis or something else can sting xenia into retreat?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've personally never found anything that can keep it at bay. While you can put a stinging coral next to it in hopes it keeps it at bay, what softies like xenia do well is grow. They grow so well they can outpace and smother a stinging coral.

Dave101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to throw out the big piece of rock that they were on. Problem sovled

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide that it is your favorite coral, it might just die on its own. :0)

Otherwise, kalk paste and remove the rock from the tank if possible.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back