Threadfin butterfly fish aggression

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I volunteer at a small public aquarium and noticed the addition of a pair of threadfin butterfly fish into our tropical tank. They were added at the same time into our fairly large system and got along for a few months until one started attacking the other. I know that these types of fish dont generally get along well with each other but why did the aggression occur months after they were introduced? Its not my job to care for these fish aside from doing basic census and feeding.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine that there are a couple of things going on.

The aggressor, in particular, has reached maturity - and the other butterfly isn't acceptable as a mate, for whatever reason. (Butterflies often form mated pairs in the wild, rarely in our tanks.) I can't tell male from female butterflyfish - but they can.

The aggressor is looking out for his/her future mate, should they show up, and wants a nice shiny territory available with all the resources required for producing plenty of gametes.

The competition of the second butterfly for those resources isn't welcome . . .

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The aggressor, in particular, has reached maturity - and the other butterfly isn't acceptable as a mate, for whatever reason. (Butterflies often form mated pairs in the wild, rarely in our tanks.) I can't tell male from female butterflyfish - but they can.

The aggressor is looking out for his/her future mate, should they show up, and wants a nice shiny territory available with all the resources required for producing plenty of gametes.

~Bruce
Agree aggression months later isn’t really uncommon. Unless a pair, adding two of most species is not a good idea. Butterflyfish are no different. It’s always a gamble.

OP
OP
A Toadstool Leather

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce
So adding butterflyfish of the same species/genus is generally risky? Where can I learn more about fish behavior like this?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are not many studies on butterflyfish reproduction.
https://www.hawaii.edu/fishlab/pubs/Tricas & Hiramoto 1989.pdf

This is one i was reading for my own research for a future tank.

There is also two efforts for captive breeding if you search the web. One has managed to successfully breed and raise young. Another has successfully raised captured platonic young.
If you search at least the prior, was published publicly.
The general consensus is that they gender decided at birth and gonad development is delayed until a maturation point or gonad development is decided by environmental factors at a maturation point. The latter would allow for the procurement of small juveniles to create a pair.
This is speculative as again only study of gender acquirement in the wild of butterflyfish is the one above. Every pair I have seen for sale were collected as pairs.

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping butterflies for years. Some species are more aggressive than others, the threadfin, yellow-head, and pakistani are all quite aggressive IME. On the other hand, I have had groups of pearl scales that are quite docile and friendly; and the same goes for pyramid.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back