Tierra Del Fuego, Red Planet or unnamed red hyacinthus

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were your choice and you only choose one, which red tabling acro would you choose of those 3?

OP
OP
K

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't red planet a hyacinthus? I don't know if the community has ever come to an agreement on what it is.
Could be. I believe the species I came across for red planet was actually A. spicifera, but there has never been a community agreement.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red planet always tables upward which messes with the hyanthicus id but I still think the three are basically the same other than slight differences in growth and shade.

apt220

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think the RP is a hyacinthus pesonally. They both grow different in my tank. My hyacinthus is very dense compared to the RP and is obviously a plate. It's also a thinner plate than my red planet.

But really who knows, since flow and other factors can influence growth patterns. It's just my hunch that they are different.

But I agree with others! Both are beautiful! (I have a Tyree Tierra del Fuego but it's just a frag right now, so hard to comment on that)

Pic of my hyacinthus...
f4c29bb5917561dc735d1fb8cddac82d.jpg

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think the RP is a hyacinthus pesonally. They both grow different in my tank. My hyacinthus is very dense compared to the RP and is obviously a plate. It's also a thinner plate than my red planet.

But really who knows, since flow and other factors can influence growth patterns. It's just my hunch that they are different.

But I agree with others! Both are beautiful! (I have a Tyree Tierra del Fuego but it's just a frag right now, so hard to comment on that)

Pic of my hyacinthus...
f4c29bb5917561dc735d1fb8cddac82d.jpg
Whats that acro in the top left?

apt220

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats that acro in the top left?
It's a no namer I got from a local reefer. I believe it's an Acropora acuminata. Here is probably a more accurate picture of it. The polyps do look reddish, but not as red as that first picture wouldn't lead you to believe.
ad9ffd7db247c08b48da246199463e2b.jpg

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyacinthus. Love tables. Looking for a Frag currently.
I do offer the hyacinthus. :)
Isn't red planet a hyacinthus? I don't know if the community has ever come to an agreement on what it is.
It does not appear to be no. It was mistakenly called that initially but over the years that changed.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick picture I hope helps. Per Corals of the World: https://coral.aims.gov.au/factsheet.jsp?speciesCode=0008

Acropora Anthocercis often has several axial or incipient axial corallites per branchlet. Meaning that a single branch might sometimes sprout multiple "tips". Radial corallites are appressed (closer together), with thick flaring walls and are arranged in a rose like shape.
This is ORA Red Planet which I believe is the Anthocercis - note how this coral has radial corallites close together, somewhat intertwined like rose petals, and the branch on the right sprouted 3 "mini" branches with axial corallites. The axial corallites are also very pronounced.
Boom-2517.jpg

On the other hand we have Acropora Hyacinthus http://coral.aims.gov.au/factsheet.jsp?speciesCode=0036
Branches are more fine and upward projecting. Axial corallites are distinct but not exsert. Radial corallites are cup-shaped and form rosettes.
http://www.coralsoftheworld.org/species_factsheets/species_factsheet_summary/acropora-anthocercis/
Anthocercis (red planet) can be similar to other species including A. hyacinthus, which has smaller and less appressed radial corallites.

As you can see in the pic below of my red hyacinthus, the corallites are slightly less appressed and smaller than the red planet anthocercis. Also note how the axial corallites while distinct are not so exsert (protruded/pronounced).
Boom-2520.jpg

I am by no means a coral expert, but this is something I have looked into extensively because I find it fascinating, and to me and my untrained eyes, the Red Planet is an Anthocercis while a true red tabling Hyacinthus is definitely a different acro.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t comment on the del Fuego, but my Redplanet and red Hyacinthus looked totally different in color and growth pattern. Both tabled but the hyacinthus had a much denser branch growth and the red was not as vibrant as the RB. Also the RB had green in it as well. I thought it looked more like a Rommel’s watermelon which I had also.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any acro can kinda "table," but they still do not look like hyacinthus do.

I have gone back and forth on Red Plant... maybe A. Mirabilis. I would not argue with A. Anthocercis, though.

littleruttiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole colony shot from above...or at least most of it :)

Tierra Del Fuego colony 10-13 sm.jpg

Hey BoomCorals, you have the Wet Thumbs Tierra Del Fuego, would you say this colony shot is representative? If so, I would consider it pretty distinct from a red planet

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back