Tiger Pistol Shrimp and Dead Royal Gramma

JAM-MAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairly large tiger pistol shrimp that has bonded with a watchman goby. A royal gramma lives in the same rock pile, and has been doing great, very bold, feeding etc. This am gramma was mia during feeding and found dead on bottom with abdomen partially devoured. No other visible signs. Now I do have small hermit crabs, in addition to the tiger who is by far the largest (1.5" approximately). My question is, has anyone else witnessed tiger pistol shrimps attacking and killing fish? I am reluctant to assign blame (injury could be post mortem or a powerhead), but wonder if I should try to find a Randall's pistol shrimp to replace the tiger.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had any issues w my pistol shrimp. Have had a few fish not doing well disappear only to be found in sheimp’s Lair. But I assume they died 1st. Sorry for your loss

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pistol shrimp and he does very well with my other tank mates. If a fish gets to close to him though he will snap his claws to get my clownfish away. I have never seen him hurt anything (even snails). I do keep him and his yellow watchman goby well fed by dropping some reef frenzy into their cave/lair with a turkey baster.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 147 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back