YWG and TPS

reeftired

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow watchman goby that is paired with a tiger pistol shrimp. It’s rare to see the pistol shrimp but the goby is outside the cave all the time. Today I saw the goby zip out and pickup a blue legged hermit crab ( tiny one) in its mouth and went into the cave. The goby came right back out to his usual spot. Did he just feed the shrimp my hermit crab?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby came right back out to his usual spot. Did he just feed the shrimp my hermit crab?
Possibly. I've heard of this behavior happening before, but I don't know that anyone has actually confirmed what happens to the critters the goby catches and hands off to the shrimp (IIRC, I've heard of at least one member here on R2R having their goby bring a critter in only for the critter to leave later, but there's no guarantee that every critter leaves) - it's suspected that these critters are generally eaten by the shrimp, but, currently, that's just speculation with no evidence (at least that I'm aware of) to back it up (it wouldn't surprise me, there's just no evidence yet).
As stated, these guys really aren't the vicious hunters they're made out to be.

They're actually omnivores (see the quote below), and the tiger pistol (Alpehus bellulus) is one of two species so far (Alpheus randalli being the other - see the link in the quote below) that has been confirmed to feed on its goby partner's feces,* so adding a goby may very well help on the off-chance that your shrimp actually is being aggressive:
A quick note here on pistol shrimp diet - pistol shrimp do not seem to be predatory, rather they seem to be more opportunistic, omnivorous scavengers (the only "hunting" that seems to take place outside of the burrow is done by the gobies, not the shrimp, and - to my knowledge - no one has ever confirmed if the shrimp actually eat the "prey" brought to them by the gobies; it might be that the goby eats them rather than the shrimp, or the shrimp might eat them as people generally assume):
Some more info from the article linked in the quote above:

"Diet analyses of shrimp associates indicate copepods, interstitial matter, and seagrass as main food items. Incidental observations revealed a more varied diet, facilitated by goby associates. Cryptocentrus cinctus and C. singapurensis [= C. leptocephalus] were previously reported to introduce items such as algae and bivalves into burrows for associate shrimps. We observed the goby, Amblyeleotris latifasciata, capturing a small crab near the burrow entrance and carrying this prey item toward the burrow entrance. Upon arrival, it rapidly moved up and down, a characteristic behavior we can best describe as ‘jumping’. The shrimp emerged from the burrow and proceeded to remove the entire prey item from the mouth of the goby, without resistance or struggle from the latter, before retreating into the burrow (Fig. 1)."

Additionally, as noted in the article linked above, at least some Alpheus spp. clean their gobies by eating the parasites off of them.

*Source:
So, the goby might have fed the shrimp, it might have given the shrimp the hermit so the shrimp could prep it/hold it for the goby to eat later, they might use it as decor/part of the structure of the burrow, the goby might have gotten it as a "pet" for the shrimp (yes, this is unlikely), this could be some form of play like how dolphins play with rocks and stuff, etc.

One or both of the pair eating it is the most likely option, but until there's solid evidence one way or another we can't say for sure.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool to catch on camera! In the last two tank moves I have done, I saw the cave of the pair when I pulled the rock and there were always many broken snail/hermit shells. I figured it was some empties I put in, but there are too many. My next guess was from die off of snails/hermits, but now I may need to rethink that.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back