Tiger pistol vs red banded

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2021
Messages
2,217
Reaction score
3,227
Location
E
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add a pistol shrimp and a goby , the two species of pistol shrimp currently available are the tiger and red banded . Which one would be better to add and why if there is any difference.
 
I would like to add a pistol shrimp and a goby , the two species of pistol shrimp currently available are the tiger and red banded . Which one would be better to add and why if there is any difference.
I have a pair of the red banded and they are fun. My understanding is that the tigers get bigger and might be more inclined to mess with hermits. I can say that I've never seen the red banded kill a hermit but there have been some intense skirmishes when a hermit wanders too close to the opening of the tunnel.

I keep a high fin goby with mine. The the trio is quite cryptic but still fun.
 
I have had Bob, my red banded pistol for 8 years now. He’s paired with my purple firefish. Always fun to watch and no issues with other tank mates.

F8C6081C-3D04-4D40-8D84-6A1A5B954D38.jpeg
 
Don't do it. I always wanted one until I got mine and all he does is cover all my corals in my Sandbed while my randalli goby watches out for him. I wanna kill it
 
Don't do it. I always wanted one until I got mine and all he does is cover all my corals in my Sandbed while my randalli goby watches out for him. I wanna kill it
Can confirm that your sand bed will be CONSTANTLY moved around. I set my tank (a zoa garden) up specifically to keep the goby pistol pair. The sand is not super deep but there are times when the shrimp makes a pile that's three times deeper than the overall tank.
 
I have a tiger pistol shrimp and a yellow watchman goby, I see them every day. My pistol doesn't cover any corals that are on the sand bed, there is one rock flower anemone nestled by his chosen cave, but anytime he gets any sand in the rfa, it just shakes it off and everything's fine.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new