OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm one of my Acros are bleaching from the bottom? Any ideas? Nitrates are a little higher they are at 4ppm+ so I turned skimmer on for whole day. Other corals seem fine. This acro I've had for a long time the left side is new and the right side was the frag. I put in GFO 2 days ago and I just noticed it. Could that have been the issue?

Both of these corals I got over a year ago so they arn't use to these huge changes in higher nutrientes and lighting. The other corals that I bought a week ago and a few months ago seem to be fine. The sunset monti is encrusting

Its the coral in the middle. The monti has also been bleaching worse.

c274c521-136e-4070-88ca-6d32327df7c7.jpg

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a reading of 0.1 but I see algae on the glass and backwall. And I use to go without cleaning the front glass for a week now I have to do it like every 4 days. So there definitely something there probably algae eating it. So it could be more then it reads

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I bump up the GFO? I only added half the recommend dosage to try and increase phosphates since they were at 0.0 for a long time

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my po4 down to .014 I am not a gfo user so cant tell how much to run
Yeah I really don't know why it start bleaching. I raised my lights up a little. I did add a Aquablue special in replace of my Atinic so I'm now thinking that was that cause. I'm planning on upgrading lights this week or next so we will see what happens. All the new corals I bought are still on sand bed so I wont raise them until I get the new lights.

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really don't know why it start bleaching. I raised my lights up a little. I did add a Aquablue special in replace of my Atinic so I'm now thinking that was that cause. I'm planning on upgrading lights this week or next so we will see what happens. All the new corals I bought are still on sand bed so I wont raise them until I get the new lights.
Chris, I think lighting issues cause bleaching from the tips down, not the bottom up in most cases, so I think that lightning is less likely.
I noticed on 1/15 you posted a PO4 reading of 0.08 and today 0.1 after adding GFO. Is that right or is 0.1 just a typo?

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, I think lighting issues cause bleaching from the tips down, not the bottom up in most cases, so I think that lightning is less likely.
I noticed on 1/15 you posted a PO4 reading of 0.08 and today 0.1 after adding GFO. Is that right or is 0.1 just a typo?
0.08 was when I took out GFO. And started Dosing Nitrates. But today I took another reading of 0.10 and Added GFO 2 days ago since I saw my glass getting dirty quicker than usual. I've been feeding almost double then I usually feed so nutrients defiantly went up.

RedneckReefer68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I have ran gfo I have gotten recession at the base. Even if I ran 1/4 of recommended dosage. I will no longer touch the stuff.

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I have ran gfo I have gotten recession at the base. Even if I ran 1/4 of recommended dosage. I will no longer touch the stuff.
Was also thinking that. So maybe just remove it? So bleaching at the base is a nutrient problem while Lighting is bleaching at the tips am I correct?

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not always that cut and dry, but for the most part that is what I've seen or heard of. Of course lighting is not the only thing that can cause bleaching at the tips just as nutrient issues aren't the only thing that can cause bleaching at the base.
And I have heard more than a few folks having issues shortly after adding fresh GFO. There must be something with it, although I use it without issues.

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not always that cut and dry, but for the most part that is what I've seen or heard of. Of course lighting is not the only thing that can cause bleaching at the tips just as nutrient issues aren't the only thing that can cause bleaching at the base.
And I have heard more than a few folks having issues shortly after adding fresh GFO. There must be something with it, although I use it without issues.
Hmmm should I just take the GFO out or just leave it? I mean I can just clean the glass more that's not an issue :p

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm should I just take the GFO out or just leave it? I mean I can just clean the glass more that's not an issue :p
I think if your corals were heading in a positive direction and then started bleaching after adding the GFO, I'd yank it out.
Seems like you changed a couple of things at the same time. I'd also suggest just change one thing and wait a good while to see if it made an improvement or not. Unless the tank is crashing, you're better off being systematic.

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if your corals were heading in a positive direction and then started bleaching after adding the GFO, I'd yank it out.
Seems like you changed a couple of things at the same time. I'd also suggest just change one thing and wait a good while to see if it made an improvement or not. Unless the tank is crashing, you're better off being systematic.
Alright I pulled the GFO. Brought the lights back down where they where and did a water change. Hopefully that helps :mad: SPS so annoying >.> but the challenge is fun!

SteelerMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any potential dangers to dosing nitrates? I ask because I have had 2 events in my tank now where I began to have issues in my tank and the only 2 things I did differently was dose nitrates and run carbon mixed with some phosgaurd. It almost looks like burnt tips but it happens on spots other than the tips as well. Is it possible that when you dose the nitrates they rise and then get consumed quickly and then they rise again with the next dose causing issues with the corals? Here are a few pics. Sorry for the quality:

close up stag.jpg

rtn on acro.jpg

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any potential dangers to dosing nitrates? I ask because I have had 2 events in my tank now where I began to have issues in my tank and the only 2 things I did differently was dose nitrates and run carbon mixed with some phosgaurd. It almost looks like burnt tips but it happens on spots other than the tips as well. Is it possible that when you dose the nitrates they rise and then get consumed quickly and then they rise again with the next dose causing issues with the corals? Here are a few pics. Sorry for the quality:

close up stag.jpg

rtn on acro.jpg
What are your nitrates reading compared to your phosphate? How much are you dosing and what brand are you dosing? Usually "from what I read" nitrates don't play a huge role in bleaching corals. Unless unheard levels. However, phosphate removal does play a role in corals bleaching. My experience just had corals bleach from the base from adding fresh GFO. I bet it could happen at the tips also. Also what brand carbon are you using? And did you rinse it before adding?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back