Time to harvest ATS for the first time?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. Cool fish selection.

The first one takes a couple months after that it can be as little as 7bdays especially with your feeding schedule.
It can grow uneven on screen from the top where the water comes down getting clogged with algae. I harvest every 2 weeks but about after a week i clean the top lip tonlet the water run over screen evenly. I clean the box itself every month and a half or so cuz the bottom opening will get clogged when the algae gets thick. I get all kinds of critters growing in there. Which i think keeps my pod pop at a high level.

Your nitrates will come down assuredly. I run mine 20 hours a day. Dont get much unsitely algae in my tank but still get stupid bubble algae.

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. Cool fish selection.

The first one takes a couple months after that it can be as little as 7bdays especially with your feeding schedule.
It can grow uneven on screen from the top where the water comes down getting clogged with algae. I harvest every 2 weeks but about after a week i clean the top lip tonlet the water run over screen evenly. I clean the box itself every month and a half or so cuz the bottom opening will get clogged when the algae gets thick. I get all kinds of critters growing in there. Which i think keeps my pod pop at a high level.

Your nitrates will come down assuredly. I run mine 20 hours a day. Dont get much unsitely algae in my tank but still get stupid bubble algae.
Thanks!

This is great info. I was thinking maybe it needs to go through a couple harvests before I see it export much. Still seems to be growing slow after that harvest. I left some on there to keep it seeded and checked today. There is some growth but definitely not enough to fill it in a week or two. Hopefully will speed up shortly.

Thanks for the insight on cleaning. That is great stuff to know. I did notice the top gets.clogged and have been running a toothpick though the opening to clear it and let it flow evenly again.

I am also running 20 on and 4 hours off currently.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great and especially in a fish only tank because youbdont have to worry about too much nutrient export. Nothing eats fish crap like hair algae.

Do run carbon tho cuz it will yellow your water. I run carbon and it cleans it right up.

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great and especially in a fish only tank because youbdont have to worry about too much nutrient export. Nothing eats fish crap like hair algae.

Do run carbon tho cuz it will yellow your water. I run carbon and it cleans it right up.
Very true. I think I overthink and chase too much with nitrates. They never really go over 60 but I would prefer to keep them under 40 if I can.

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 2nd harvest. Definitely looking darker than my first did.

Attachments

• 20230502_151713.jpg
    20230502_151713.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230502_151656.jpg
    20230502_151656.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 17

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice!! just think that would all be in your tank if you didnt have that.

Dave Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Clearwater Scrubbers website says you need to dose iron/trace elements. Do you do that? What? How do you know how much?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i havent but about to send an icp test in and start dosing all for reef. Some of my corals look a little unhappy and guessing iodine is low from scrubber

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back