Time to winterize

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lows will be in teens for me tomorrow. During the winter 50 below zero is lot more common than I'd like to admit. Most winters I don't see above freezing temps from mid November thru mid March. I live in an old cabin with baseboard heaters. I just ordered new thermostats that I will be replacing next week since the ones currently in place are 50 years old and don't really work, I get good 10 degree temp swings, and one of the heaters never turns off unless I flip the circuit. At least the rent is cheap and the roof doesn't leak.
I am also planning on insulating the windows this year. My windows are the fun crank to open style, so I have to go outside to install the plastic wrap, unless one of you guys knows a better method. I am open to all and any ideas.
My tank is a total of only 50 gallons, but my sump is not covered, nor in the stand. It sits on a dunage rack by the DT. Power outage are few and far between thankfully, so I am not worried about making a battery back-up right away that will run my heaters.
With extreme winters is anything else I should think about? Should I up my heaters? I have 2 200 watt titanium elements. I feel confident they will do the job.
Like I said, I am open to any and all ideas for preparing for winter. Thanks

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are off to a great start, maybe some type of controller to control the heaters also maybe a back up heater Incase they can’t do the job.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are off to a great start, maybe some type of controller to control the heaters also maybe a back up heater Incase they can’t do the job.
They are controlled by the BRS controller that is plugged into my Apex. Still trying to stop the 2 to 3 degree temp swings, but that is another issue.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back