Time until algae and diatoms?

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my lights a week and a half ago (tank fully cycled), and was just wondering how long it'll take for algae and diatoms to start appearing in the tank. My lights are set to 60% intensity for white light (2 AI prime), and my nitrates are hovering around 20 ppm.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my lights a week and a half ago (tank fully cycled), and was just wondering how long it'll take for algae and diatoms to start appearing in the tank. My lights are set to 60% intensity for white light (2 AI prime), and my nitrates are hovering around 20 ppm.
It doesn’t take long! One week the tank will be beautiful with pretty white sand and the next it starts to set in. This is not a bad thing! I’d say after two months. Usually at 10-12 weeks and things are starting to heat up. Let it do it’s thing and keep the nutrients in good numbers and ratio. I’d recommend 100:1 and 5 & .05 ppm. A lot of people getting Dino’s right now so definitely keep them up. I’d even recommend 10 & .01 to be really safe. Good luck!

OP
OP
E

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t take long! One week the tank will be beautiful with pretty white sand and the next it starts to set in. This is not a bad thing! I’d say after two months. Usually at 10-12 weeks and things are starting to heat up. Let it do it’s thing and keep the nutrients in good numbers and ratio. I’d recommend 100:1 and 5 & .05 ppm. A lot of people getting Dino’s right now so definitely keep them up. I’d even recommend 10 & .01 to be really safe. Good luck!
Awesome, thank you for the advice!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back