Timing of Testing in Relation to WCs

  • Thread starter Thread starter blkcoral
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

blkcoral

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2025
Messages
208
Reaction score
145
Location
Odessa Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the hobby about a year and test and do periodic WCs. But been thinking about my regiment. Assuming 55 gallon tank and 25% WCs every two weeks--when should you test tank water? Just before/after WC? Every week regardless of timing of WC? Any thoughts appreciated.
 
Depends on your goals. If your are just looking to see where the tank is it. After a water change will give you a current picture.

If you do before, and then water change, your results won't be current anymore.

I try to do weekly and at the same time of day unless I'm adjusting or zeroing in ALK
 
I just do after a water change. Honestly as long as you do it at the same time, I don't think it makes much of a difference. Just don't track before a water change one week, then after a change the next.
 
I would check before and after.
That way you will see what your wc's are doing.
I was afraid someone would suggest this. Makes sense but a lot of work on multiple tanks. I can't drink anymore🙁
 
Agree with @Justfebreezeit it totally depends on the reasoning for testing. If it is to make sure things are remaining stable then it doesn’t really matter when you do it as long as you are being consistent ie comparing apples to apples. If you are after some other specific goal then it might make more of a difference. I check to make sure things aren’t crazy out of whack so I check before wc so I know at the highest point here is where I stand knowing that a wc will lower it by roughly the percent of a wc it is
 
I was afraid someone would suggest this. Makes sense but a lot of work on multiple tanks. I can't drink anymore🙁
Depends entirely on how stable your tank is and what your goals are.

Softy tank: You don't need to test as much
Acro sps tank: You're gonna need to test more.

In general: what I've been seeing is people test alkalinity weekly minimum, calcium every other week, Magnesium monthly, Nitrate and phosphate weekly. If you're seeing fluctuations you don't like then test more. If you're starting a dosing regimen then test more frequently. I wouldn't bother specifically timing them with water changes as there should generally be an equilibrium that your tank reaches in respect to the water changes.
 
I have found the most success with weekly tests of Alk/Nit/Phos/Sal.

I keep a google sheet that has saved my tank more than a few times. Buying Hannas and ongoing regimen have been the best value in my long-term success.

If you test weekly, doing the tests before the WC will let you better understand the trends of the tank, and how you are impacting them long-term.
 
I agree....I would do it before and after, at least once. You want to use that before test to determine how often and how much water should be changed weekly. Once you have that number, I would test after so you have a snapshot in time of the available nutrients that your tank will have access to throughout the week.
 
Depends entirely on how stable your tank is and what your goals are.

Softy tank: You don't need to test as much
Acro sps tank: You're gonna need to test more.

In general: what I've been seeing is people test alkalinity weekly minimum, calcium every other week, Magnesium monthly, Nitrate and phosphate weekly. If you're seeing fluctuations you don't like then test more. If you're starting a dosing regimen then test more frequently. I wouldn't bother specifically timing them with water changes as there should generally be an equilibrium that your tank reaches in respect to the water changes.
It does make sense that before/after WC does not matter since water should be stable before/after WC but not than try to correct what is out of whack. Thanks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new