Timor wrasse hidden for 15 days, any advice?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had her for 18 month healthy and eating. Other fish are totally fine. She has hidden in the past but only when transferred to a new tank, etc, but not for this long.

Out of the blue I have not seen her in 15 days. I've been monitoring seachem ammonia alert for ammonia spikes in case she died, but all is safe according to the badge

If she died would she remain under the sand of float up?

Any suggestions except just wait it out and dont go looking for her? How long can this go on?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other fish are totally fine.
And what are those other fish? Specifically, other wrasses?
If she died would she remain under the sand of float up?
Rarely do they die when buried - they typically come out of the sand first. But if you've got a decent CUC, a dead fish can becomes just bones in less than 12 hours.
Any suggestions except just wait it out and dont go looking for her? How long can this go on?
It's odd for the behavior to change without a reason, so I suspect there's something up. The only time they might stay buried atypically is if there's a fast sex transition going on, but I'd look towards bullying or disease first.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what are those other fish? Specifically, other wrasses?

Rarely do they die when buried - they typically come out of the sand first. But if you've got a decent CUC, a dead fish can becomes just bones in less than 12 hours.

It's odd for the behavior to change without a reason, so I suspect there's something up. The only time they might stay buried atypically is if there's a fast sex transition going on, but I'd look towards bullying or disease first.

Yes, a pink streaked and a flasher wrasse but the Timor is clearly the boss of a very peaceful tank without a doubt, so I think bullying can be ruled out. (Although I have a large blood red Shrimp who is actually the boss of the tank and goes after any fish that bothers him, lol, but they have been in the tank together for a year so I don't think that's it)

She went through a thorough prophylactic treatment prior to going into the DT tank and the there has been no sign of disease in the DT whatsoever, I pay really close attention. She was gorging on food and very active up until the day she hid and has been very healthy since I obtained her

She's about 3.5-4" and was female prior to this so your sex transition theory has me thinking that may be the issue, hmmm.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that another fish isn't being a bully towards it? Even a non-wrasse by chance?

Positive. I have a pearly jawfish, PSWrasse, Flasher in with him, that's it. She was the dominant fish . Could she be buried for approx. 26 days now transitioning to male? I've read accounts of halichores hiding for a month.

Should I do anything or just wait it out? I dont want to fowl my tank

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could she be buried for approx. 26 days now transitioning to male? I've read accounts of halichores hiding for a month.
Right - it is still possible. Just had to ask. :)
Should I do anything or just wait it out?
At this point, I wouldn't.
I dont want to fowl my tank
Nah, you won't. A single fish dissolves pretty fast and is a tiny blip on the radar in an established tank.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - it is still possible. Just had to ask. :)

At this point, I wouldn't.

Nah, you won't. A single fish dissolves pretty fast and is a tiny blip on the radar in an established tank.

Foul, not fowl of course, lol. I'll just wait it out. Thanks for the reply

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 44 days buried with no sign of him

IMG_0411.jpg

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's crazy, is it a male now? idk what male vs female timors look like

I guess its a young mail now. I'm seeing some red but still a bit if the female orange colors too. He definately looks different

I thought he had died. He looks totally healthy, not skinny as might be expected not eating for 44 days. He ate some food when he came out but not as much as you might expect. He quickly re-established himself as boss of the tank.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Timor was only out one day after hiding 44 days

He only reappeared today, January 21, he ate and is a little thin but otherwise looks fine.

He stayed hidden all but one day since November 7, until today, another 32 days after the initial 44 days

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

Montagne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@joec what ended up happening with your Timor wrasse? The one I’ve had for a year has been missing for a few days now….

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is your tank supports a predator without supplemental feeding I guess. My clown sometimes goes on hiatus for a week or two at a time and always stays fat. Lots of pods and rock and a lightly stocked tank lets that happen without much ill effects.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back