Tiny bugs crawling on rocks at night

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to turn my blue light flashlight on my tank last night and noticed hundreds of tiny microscopic little black bug things crawling on my rocks. My tank is only 2 months old and isnt stocked except for a couple snails. The only thing I can think off is maybe pods, as I believe I got 1 large grey amphipod and a smaller red pod in my tank when I added some chaeto. I think the large pod got stuck in the filter floss and thrown out when I changed it, but could these all be baby pods or something? There was literally around 100 at least and my tank is only 30 gallons. Any idea? Sorry I couldn't get a photo as they were way to small

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I cant see them in the day or on the glass. Only at night and super small

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bugs are still there, and yes theyre black (from the looks of it when I shine a blue light on them in the dark). I've also notices some on the glass that look white. I still wonder if they are actually pods or something else. They are literally the size of a grain of salt pretty much (smaller than ants). I only have the one goby and pistol shrimp pair but it doesnt look like their eating them. I've also noticed them crawling on my astrae's shell and it also doesnt really seem to be bothered by them. Still not 100% sure what they are. I feel that if they were pods, they would have grown somewhat since I first noticed them, but I see no larger pods in my tank at all.

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bugs are still there, and yes theyre black (from the looks of it when I shine a blue light on them in the dark). I've also notices some on the glass that look white. I still wonder if they are actually pods or something else. They are literally the size of a grain of salt pretty much (smaller than ants). I only have the one goby and pistol shrimp pair but it doesnt look like their eating them. I've also noticed them crawling on my astrae's shell and it also doesnt really seem to be bothered by them. Still not 100% sure what they are. I feel that if they were pods, they would have grown somewhat since I first noticed them, but I see no larger pods in my tank at all.
They're pods, no need to worry. I have them all in my refugium. Your gobys won't eat them, although mandarin dragonets will if you are interested in those fish. The reason you don't see them growing is because that's the maximum size they get and they are constantly breeding and laying eggs so you wont really see a size difference.

reefer fro canada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have something on my glass in the sump they look like little caccoons on the glass.They are white and about 1/4 inch long and they look like they have a head sort of like a snail any ideals.Sorry I don't have a camera that can take though shots.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar thing going on in my sump and was told it's just a harmless sponge. If you look at what you have closely and its whole and kinda pineapple shaped then yeah it's a sponge. I'm getting them too but I think they're starting to go away.

I'd love a mandarin by the way. They look so amazing. But considering my tank is only just oher 3 months old I dont think its mature enough to house one. If the parent pods died though will these ones still multiply? I did have one larger black coloured pod and a smaller red one that came in originally and I would see the dark one out on the rocks at night but I believe he ended up getting stuck in the filter floss and got thrown out awhile ago.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back