Tiny Maroon Clown

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try some mysis or maybe baby brine shrimp. Nice lookin maroon! I used to have one that was a beast. It got big and hosted a leather coral I had and would bite me so hard whenever I put my hand in the water haha.
Sounds like my fish! She's mean and bites me too! She has a good sized bta, but she still says the entire tank is her territory and stay out!

Last edited by a moderator:

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is the heater, it's also one of the lower flow areas in the tank I think. I've got a sponge filter in the same end as the heater, and an Aquaclear 20 on the opposite end.

He moves out of the corner to feed, but he's only eaten a handful of times. I attempt to feed 3x a day. Morning, late afternoon and evening, same as I feed my other fish.

He definitely still looks healthy, no different than at my lfs, my camera doesn't like to focus on the tank, water is too clear, wants to focus on the background.

His pattern so far that I have observed is early morning, I find him in the exact opposite corner, swimming towards the same end of the tank. Shortly after lights on, he's back to the corner with the heater and stays there until lights off. So maybe he's just 'hosting' that particular corner of the tank.

He is currently alone in the tank. I wanted to buy a smaller BTA, but don't have the lighting for it in QT. Are Clownfish social fish? That hasn't come up in my reading either way. If so I could probably go find him a friend this weekend, lfs has a few sub 2" yellow tangs I've contemplated getting.
Quite probable that he has decided that corner is his home then. They don't need anemones and if it is captive bred there is no guarantee it will host it, I have 2 pairs and neither pair have hosted a anemone as of yet.
Clown fish can do perfectly well on their own, the only time I have experienced them do better as a pairs is if they were bonded before you got them, I have found that if you break a pair up or loose one out of a pair they become unhappy and need a partner. If you buy them young like you have then they don't need a partner and will be fine alone.
If he is eating a little bit then I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye out incase he deteriorates for some reason.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard clowns, especially maroons bite, but that is exactly why I wanted one. It's eventually going to be in a 210 with lots of big, bad tempered fish, and some predators. Want it to be able to hold its own. That's also why I want an anenome, to give it, and the one I will eventually attempt to pair it with a safe place to live. Good to know it might not host it though, makes sense, tank raised might not have that instinct. Might still try if I can find a cheap BTA.

I'm happy to hear this is pretty typical clown behaviour, though I am keeping a real close eye on him.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know at about what age does the gold colour start coming through?

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard clowns, especially maroons bite, but that is exactly why I wanted one. It's eventually going to be in a 210 with lots of big, bad tempered fish, and some predators. Want it to be able to hold its own. That's also why I want an anenome, to give it, and the one I will eventually attempt to pair it with a safe place to live. Good to know it might not host it though, makes sense, tank raised might not have that instinct. Might still try if I can find a cheap BTA.

I'm happy to hear this is pretty typical clown behaviour, though I am keeping a real close eye on him.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know at about what age does the gold colour start coming through?
I wasn't trying to put you off anemones just a heads up they might not use it, I think anemones are great, and you heard right that they bite when they have claimed and area, mine have made be bleed before and bite so much that I use a glove whenever I go into the tank for maintenance. Best of luck

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just put a small pair through QT. Female is about 2.5 ". male is an 1" or so. They really did not eat much in QT, but have been in my display for about a month are now absolute pigs. the female went right into a RBTA on day 2. the male just now has gone in. the female wont attack my hand, but she goes ballistic on the flipper cleaner! Good luck with him.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately I already use tongs and other tools to do most of the work in my tank. My moray, while still small, is shall we say... Enthusiastic about eating and thinks fingers are food. Hasn't bitten me yet, but sure comes after my hand if it's nearby.

Joker here is going to be in QT for a while, so I hope he eats more. Had to at least double in size before I would feel comfortable housing him in the same tank as the aforementioned moray.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you leave your powerhead on during feeding?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disregard the cat photo, no idea how that got there.

Thanks, it's colour is awesome, deep red already. Bit blurry, my camera doesn't want to focus on the fish. Alright, I'll try some mysis after work, see if that gets him eating. Need this guy to grow fast, so he can go into my DT. Right now he'd just be a delicious snack for my moray.
Sometimes the cat photos do their own thing.

image.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
About the cat photo, if you add a photo and then want to remove it you will need to also remove it from the list down below your message.

About the fish, you can also try small pellets. Many commercial fish breeders use the TDO Boost pellets from @Reef Nutrition, which IMO is the standard for clownfish feed, so that may be what your fish are use to. Additionally, I have also had good luck with picky clowns using ME Corals fish food (@marke) because it is a softer pellet while still using high quality ingredients.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Robert B Cat. 22 toes of fury

D610E59C-65D1-41E5-8330-4ADEF2371AB8.jpeg A4F339A8-F72E-451D-93DC-D8C9A5CB2DAA.jpeg 84FA3BDF-2DA0-486A-BF79-0BB2459F6E6A.jpeg

An old ex of mine had a polydactic cat, plus Maine coon. Paws the size of tennis balls almost. Robert B. Cat has +1 fan

Noted on the food. I will try and find some if he continues to be picky. Keep ending up too busy to call the store and ask.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back