Tiny skinny worms on my GSP frag?!

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,

I introduced a ball size rock with gsp coral on it, I did 5 min FW dip and 20 minutes seachem reef dip and I killed a lot of pests and worms.

But I see dozens of these when I placed a coral in my tank.

What is this and how can I get rid of them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,

I introduced a ball size rock with gsp coral on it, I did 5 min FW dip and 20 minutes seachem reef dip and I killed a lot of pests and worms.

But I see dozens of these when I placed a coral in my tank.

What is this and how can I get rid of them?

These aren’t worms but rather feeding tubes from either a vermetid snail or spinoid worm
You should see tube openings where the strings used for feeding is coming from
Spinoid will emit hair like palys and vermetid will send out mucus strands

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These aren’t worms but rather feeding tubes from either a vermetid snail or spinoid worm
You should see tube openings where the strings used for feeding is coming from
Spinoid will emit hair like palys and vermetid will send out mucus strands

I see. So I have a monster(s) inside my rock.

How do I get rid of it?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I see. So I have a monster(s) inside my rock.

How do I get rid of it?
If you can see the base of the tube, break off with a needle nose pliers and discard. If not- place a dab of gel superglue from dollar store Over the tube opening and they’ll starve. Coral putty will also work

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can see the base of the tube, break off with a needle nose pliers and discard. If not- place a dab of gel superglue from dollar store Over the tube opening and they’ll starve. Coral putty will also work

No, I can't see a body of anything. There is a dozens of feeding tubes going out of coral, maybe there is more then one creature below GSP carpet on rock?

So I have to glue every opening I see on under and around the rock?

Is there any other way, can I keep a coral in glass cup inside tank for example? That way coral will have the light but the creature will not have access to food or to get out.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No, I can't see a body of anything. There is a dozens of feeding tubes going out of coral, maybe there is more then one creature below GSP carpet on rock?

So I have to glue every opening I see on under and around the rock?

Is there any other way, can I keep a coral in glass cup inside tank for example? That way coral will have the light but the creature will not have access to food or to get out.
Problem is they are receiving food. A couple things you can try which may or may not work is to direct water flow towards them- Not at them and they will starve as food will not reach them.
Other is to add a few bumble bee snails which eat them but they are not quick at removing each one

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the video on day light.

As you can see, there is bunch of them.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is they are receiving food. A couple things you can try which may or may not work is to direct water flow towards them- Not at them and they will starve as food will not reach them.
Other is to add a few bumble bee snails which eat them but they are not quick at removing each one

Hey vettbro, how about this plan.

I will place coral in plastic cup and I will place transparent plastic above cup, so the lights can come to the coral but no food can come to the creatures inside rock.

Also I can put 2 bumble snails inside so they can finish them.

How many days is necessary to starve them?

Option number 2 is to make QT tank and place coral there, but I don't have extra lighting for QT. What kind of light is enough for GSP?

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 it's definetly feading tubes because I'm seeing them in pairs, and there is at least od 8+ of them inside 3 inch rock.

Do I risk to spread them all over the tank?

I keep the rock in plastic cup in tank and I plan to remove cup from tank everyday for 15 minutes while I'm feeding the fish. How many days until they starve? Will they try to move from rock to other place in search for food?

What about dip in BioAdvance to kill them all?

I realy appriciate the help!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 it's definetly feading tubes because I'm seeing them in pairs, and there is at least od 8+ of them inside 3 inch rock.

Do I risk to spread them all over the tank?

I keep the rock in plastic cup in tank and I plan to remove cup from tank everyday for 15 minutes while I'm feeding the fish. How many days until they starve? Will they try to move from rock to other place in search for food?

What about dip in BioAdvance to kill them all?

I realy appriciate the help!
While they can multiply, its a slow process. Dip may not stop them but break tubes at base and they are gone. Bumblee bee snails are another option. They are not a danger but rather a nuisance.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they can multiply, its a slow process. Dip may not stop them but break tubes at base and they are gone. Bumblee bee snails are another option. They are not a danger but rather a nuisance.

20230601_221907.jpg

I have added 2 of these bad boys to do their magic.

How long can they starve before they die? As for their tube bases I can see and access maybd 3 out of 8+. I wil close the whole bottom of the rock with epoxy.

One question about bayer dip. Should I rinse a rock later in saltwater and how safe is to return that rock after dipping into DT?

Thanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back