Tiny V shaped antenna like growths

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small zoa frag that’s cut from a piece of rock and noticed these super tiny V shaped “antenna” like things growing from the rock. I don’t see any body or movement, just them dancing in the flow.

What are these?

Definitely not har algae as the hairs are in distinct V shaped pairs.

Whatever they are, they survived CoralRx and Reef Dip.

IMG_1321.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are boring spionids - not a problem in small numbers, but a big problem if they start boring through corals and/or if the population gets out of hand.
If they’re inside the coral, then they’re Coral-boring Spionid Worms:

OP
OP
bitstream

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could very well explain why these corals spend so much time closed up. I brushed some super glue over the areas of rock where the antennae were seen. Hopefully that's enough to kill the few that were there but will have to keep an eye on it going forward. There extremely tiny and can only be seen when light hits them at the right angle, so I'm guessing that means I caught them early perhaps.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could very well explain why these corals spend so much time closed up. I brushed some super glue over the areas of rock where the antennae were seen. Hopefully that's enough to kill the few that were there but will have to keep an eye on it going forward. There extremely tiny and can only be seen when light hits them at the right angle, so I'm guessing that means I caught them early perhaps.
They will bore a new hole and come out some where.. they are a pain and I had a acro I got from a buddy I kept fragging to get rid of them and it didn’t work.. I finally cut it on a saw and kept a tiny piece near the base where I didn’t see any and so far so good! Idk how they act with zoas but acros they stunt the growth and my buddy has a torch that keeps bailing heads from them.

OP
OP
bitstream

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will bore a new hole and come out some where.. they are a pain and I had a acro I got from a buddy I kept fragging to get rid of them and it didn’t work.. I finally cut it on a saw and kept a tiny piece near the base where I didn’t see any and so far so good! Idk how they act with zoas but acros they stunt the growth and my buddy has a torch that keeps bailing heads from them.

These things have been closed pretty much non-stop and I figured something was ticking them off. I do see amphipods crawling on the zoas from time to time which may also be a factor.

I'm hoping these worms don't start bothering other corals. I'm still a newbie but was smart enough to dip them and subject them to quarantine, but apparently I can add this to the list of pests that simply have to be tolerated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back