Tiny Worms

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way back in the day, my LFS had a colony of tiny pale filamentatious worms living in the substrate of a reef tank. I transplanted a good size culture of them into my FOWLR, and they propagated and heavily populated the substrate bed. I then introduced a Mandarin to the tank and it thrived on those worms. They were really tiny, maybe less than 1/16" long, and hardly any thicker than a hair. I would so love to find some of those worms today; is anyone here familiar with them ?

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
Hmm I think you are talking about Spaghetti worms.. The are super ugly and an eye sore but they are really beneficial. Usually thrives when over feeding occurs.

Not my pic and never seen one this large but i have some smaller ones. The bottom of their body borrows in the ground and only the spaghetti portion sticks out lol.
proxy.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Hmm I think you are talking about Spaghetti worms.. The are super ugly and an eye sore but they are really beneficial. Usually thrives when over feeding occurs.

Not my pic and never seen one this large but i have some smaller ones. The bottom of their body borrows in the ground and only the spaghetti portion sticks out lol.
proxy.jpg

Those are spaghetti worms for sure :) Great part of the clean up crew as you said and a great indication of nutrients. Their population is directly related unless you have a predator of them. Not many of those either although my Copperband Butterfly made short work of them sadly :(

I had some that large. And so many that I would often find them floating around my water column...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
+1 on spaghetti worms

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back