Tips/Advice Aquascaping and Filtration Fluval Evo

JonR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After recently biting the bullet and giving into the temptation of getting my very own saltwater tank I’ve went ahead and gone with the Fluval Evo. Ive done my homework on about everything regarding setting up a new tank and even made my own media baskets for better filtration. I purchased 10 lbs of live sand and 15lbs of dry rock but for some reason it feels to me like I might be overdoing it on the rock. While I know aquascaping is all preference I want to make sure I have good flow around the rocks while not taking up too much water volume. Right now on the sides the rock is sometimes only about 1 inch from touching the glass at certain areas. Could anyone tell me how my aquascape looks in these pictures in regards to the size of the tank? I know I’ve been considering breaking up the larger rocks to remove pieces but would this really be beneficial? Might seem a bit silly to ask but just want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything here. Oh and if anything looks out of order on my filter baskets would appreciate the input there too.

FDBB8B98-BCB3-4759-941A-22F685D01F7A.jpeg
2A224AC7-B34D-48F8-AC84-43380B6FEF2D.jpeg
C603DBED-5F7C-46C8-AEFC-06EF80DC5AEB.jpeg

(Just have a bag of carbon for chemical filtration will probabaly upgrade that later)

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @JonR

#WelcometoR2R

I would say tank looks great. As long as that top rock is secure from tumbling over and the 1 inch you mentioned on the sides is enough to clean the glass you are fine.

I am not familiar with your tank or how the media baskets stack. You should not need carbon to start. I would always have the blue bonded pad or some form of mechanical filtration first in the flow to pull larger particles out. Then you can have your bio media followed by carbon, gfo, or other media as needed,

Let us know if you need any help on cycling or other question and again tank looks great and welcome

OP
OP
J

JonR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @JonR

#WelcometoR2R

I would say tank looks great. As long as that top rock is secure from tumbling over and the 1 inch you mentioned on the sides is enough to clean the glass you are fine.

I am not familiar with your tank or how the media baskets stack. You should not need carbon to start. I would always have the blue bonded pad or some form of mechanical filtration first in the flow to pull larger particles out. Then you can have your bio media followed by carbon, gfo, or other media as needed,

Let us know if you need any help on cycling or other question and again tank looks great and welcome

Thanks for the input, especially on the carbon for the filter. Down the road I was considering getting something like purigen or chemipure anyway instead of just carbon. I've heard this how you do not need it at the start but I can not seem to find a consensus on when to put it in besides for medicating or correcting water color? Well anyways, the tank has been filled since Monday night and put two juvenile clowns in as I am cycling with Fritz Turbo start and Biospira. I know the risks this poses but also am aware of the sound evidence to support quick cycling using these. Constantly checking ammonia and it has not reached anything detectable over the course of 48 hrs so so far so good.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure the rocks are at least 2'" away from any surface (except the bottom) and you'll understand why as soon as the algae starts to grow or you want to suction the debris. You will move a rock here and a rock there...adding more as time goes on to suit your fancy. Remember, we mount most of our corals on rocks soooo the more surface area the more corals. It's fine to have two small clowns, NH3 has to come from somewhere! Surprised your NH3 has been so slow....maybe the fish will help out but I have cycled a few tanks in 2 days...what are the nitate levels. By the way, DON'T use dipsticks, they're very inaccurate and last only a few months. You have a bare tank bottom and dry rock so it might take a little longer to cycle but once going that rock will handle a lot of ammonia.

Back